My Rhode Island Rooster is Mental case!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by runamuck, Apr 15, 2008.

1. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Ok, First I NEVER wanted a RIR rooster due to all the horror stories I heard about them being evil mean critters. My hubby and I went to fowl fest in frankenmouth last oct, and there was Red . Hubby had to have him, I had nightmare thoughts of my phoenix being torn to ribbions. I got talked into this big scary looking rooster so we brought him home built him a pen for him and the ladies. The ladies didnt like what they were looking at and flew the coup. but...... My freerange sebright roosters "naughty evil killer chickens that they are" would get in the coup with him and he would hide and let them pull his butt feathers out. Couldn't have that so He got moved to a dog crate in the garage . Was happy there for the most part. ( don't think he had ever had his feet on earth until he came here he was a show bird and lived the cage life) Mid winter I noticed that he was dirty so I moved him to the basement so he got a bath spruced up and low and behold he started crowing again. Now its spring I cant keep a RIR rooster in the basement lol I can't and won't. He shared his area in the basement with the cochins yes... they intermingled all friends sooooo I put them out together in my covered pen and they start fighting ugh!!!!! Cochins won't quit they are dumb about fighting and will go to they die and the RIR out weighs him 10 fold. Move RIR again let him loose for a few minutes in the big pen ( 6 foot fence over an acre big) Sebrights come over to check him out and he freaks squaks and runs for the hills. This stupid RIR all he needs to do is turn and smack one sebright and guess what they will back off ( very into self presivation that breed is lol) but NOOOOOO he has to be a wimp. I WANT A KILLER RIR!!!!!! At this moment he is hiding somewhere in the woods, we can't find him, he may be food for some predatior tonight and all I can say is I'm tired and sick of dealing with it. Him and the phoenix are good friends its just sebrights are his nightmare. dumb bird .
    "sigh"
    welcome to my world of non normal animals
    off to hunt for him again

2. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Look on the bright side, at least he;'s not attacking everything in sight. [​IMG]

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I have a mental case RIR hen they would make a great couple![​IMG]

4. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Well..... good news I found him. Under a blue tarp that blew off into the corner of the pen that I had yet to clean up lol. Now I'm way behind on chores for the day sooooo I set him up near where I would be working and chased all the sebrights from the area ( picture this: a wild haired 5.8 woman swinging a leaf rake running insanely after sebright rooster who are squacking up a storm and I know thinking "the big hens lost it!" [​IMG] [​IMG] ) I'm filling a duck water pool and There is my 35 lb gander and him fighting it was like clash of the titans!!!!! Stood there for a moment and Hissed at the Gander and of course hes a good boy and backs off . Won't take on a sebright but will take on a huge goose. DUMB BIRD
    Welcome to life on the funny farm!!!!
    and usually we all coexsit rather peacefully LOVE breeding season they have all lost there minds.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    [​IMG]

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Yes it is! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by