My riding boots got rained on BIG TIME

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick_a_dee, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I left my boots out to soften in the sun today, with some leather softener on them... and my mum just came down to tell me it was POURING outside, MY BOOTS ARE SOAKED TO THE CORE, what can I do to try them out as fast as possible, and minimize damage to the leather? ... for the record, they're zip up paddock boots.

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Dry them slowly, in the shade and/or while wearing them.

In my eventing days, I came off at more than one water obstacle wearing Dehner's, and they're still okay.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly, I'd wipe out the inside then wear them so that they don't dry in some funky position that'll be unfortable or fold weird when you wear them next, and then once they're almost dry, gently use leather conditioner again.

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Key word there: "Dehner's". [​IMG] The nice stuff always holds up better than the cheapo leathers....

Yeah, what Oblio said--and lots of leather conditioner. They'll be OK! The first time I wore my most recent pair of new boots there was torential downpours all. day. They were soaked through and through. I just brought them inside, cleaned them up real good (mine also had several layers of concrete-like arena footing caked on) and put on a good layer of conditioner (I can't remember the stuff I like...one too many glasses of sangrial on a hot afternoon [​IMG] it's in an orange jar and smells awfully yummy. Carr & Day?? something like that) and then gave them another good coating of conditioner. They're fine--and they broke in in record speed!! [​IMG]

5. wayfastwhitey

wayfastwhitey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    texas
    the best thing to do is to wear them until almost dry , then stuff them with newspaper or better yet use ceder trees made for boots , this will help them keep their shape.. dont use any kind on heat!! no hairdryer no forced air .. what most people dont understand is cowboy and riding boot are lasted in wet then left to dry before putting the sole and heel on ..... after your boots are dry clean with a good learther oil like lexol or neatsfoots oil to help soften the leather, rub the oil in really well then use a really good cream polish to bring back the shine
    I'v been a custom cowboy boot maker for the last 25 years ...i hope this helps you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Now those are fancy!! I ride show hunters, so we don't get wear the fun stuff like that. Nope. Tall plain black boots and stuffy wool coats. If you're feeling frisky, you wear a shirt brighter than pastel under your coat... [​IMG]

I have a serious closet desire to wear cowgirl boots and shimmery glittery clothes and ride in some fancy saddle that weighs as much as I do just dripping in silver. [​IMG]

7. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Haha, have you seen those ... I think they're ariat, that have the english heal, but they're western styled...very cool indeed, I plan on getting a pair for working.

8. wayfastwhitey

wayfastwhitey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    texas
    Quote:naaaa these arnt that Fancy ... i'll load some pics of fancy boot's i made for my wifey , butterflys, hearts multi colors even a few pair with her first name (Carol) going down the side of the boot tops
    glad you liked my boots

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Hee, hee! Now that made me laugh!
    Have you seen the glittery spray that you can stencil stars and stuff on your horse's butt with?

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:... Have you seen the glittery spray that you can stencil stars and stuff on your horse's butt with?

Something tells me that I wouldn't finish in the ribbons if I tried any of those things...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by