1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY RIR BANTAMS (story)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tiki244, Jul 9, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I got around 20 eggs of RIR bantams from NYREDS about 2 months ago. Well I am not the best hatcher and I only hatched 2 chicks out. So I have been waiting and waiting to see the sex. I figure my luck 2 cockerels.

It IS my luck, I do believe I have a cockerel and a pullet. What are the chances of that? [​IMG] It is really looking that way, every day now I check the feathers for shininess. The "boy" is much bigger than the "girl" and has a fuller tail. They are so cute, being bantams they are still lilpipsqueeks. They are running around on the ground and I am sitting in my lawn chair and they just jump up on my lap and say HI. Then they are off again. Very Friendly little chicks. I have never seen anything like it. I really love them.

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    How about a picture?

3. imran_uh

imran_uh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Yeah Pictures please!

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I purchased abattery for my SLR camera last week and the light meter still doesnt work, I will take them into town and find a friend with a cell phone to take some for me and then I will post ! Thanks

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Oh yes-I must see pics of them!

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi coffe egirl, I will try to post as soon as I can, Hopefully this weekend! My son has a digital camera and can just upload to his computer, I will try him.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    sorry , BUT I never heard of a RIR Bantam . MUST be MIXED breed

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Its in the Standard Book of Perfection and you can show it a bantam Rhode Island Red

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Admitted to Tha American Standard of Perfection in 1940 in single combed form and in 1952 in Rose Combed.
    Single Combs are usually second only to Leghorn Bantams in numbers in the Single Combed Clean Legged class. Rose Combs are shown in the Rose Comb Clean Legged class [of course] and are considerably less common.
    If you've never heard of them I assume you don't get to many poultry shows.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] HI NYREDS! I am SO happy with my little chicks, I will get pics this weekend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by