My RIR has green feet and bleak

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CharityZ, Feb 21, 2015.

1. CharityZ

CharityZ New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    I'm a first timer with 4.5 mo. old pullets and one of them has very green feet and a green beak. I can't find ANY information on whether this is normal or not. Her ear lobes are green too. Is she healthy? Should I expect a different color egg from her?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - it would be most helpful if you would post a photo (or photos) of the bird in question - we will be better able to help you if we can see the bird.

3. CharityZ

CharityZ New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There she is...

4. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    With the dark skin, extra toes, and slight crest, I think she is most likely a silkie mix.

5. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    I would agree, it looks like the green is just her natural color, not illness. A silkie mix is the most logical explanation for all her features. Most silkie mixes have normal feathers, are larger than silkies, and make excellent broodies. Because they are larger and can cover more eggs than pure silkies, many people who do natural brooding love using silkie mixes. Many brood so often that they lay few eggs. If she turns out to brood more frequently and lay less eggs than you want, you could probably rehome her to someone who would love to have a hen like her. But if you like doing natural brooding, she could end up being your best hen.

6. CharityZ

CharityZ New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Very interesting! Thanks for your help! I'm excited to see what she does!

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not a Rhode Island Red. True Reds can only be gotten from those who love, preserve, breed, and exhibit the breed.

If your birds are healthy and lay eggs for you? You'll probably be satisfied and quite happy with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by