My RIR is STILL not laying

kara0143

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
she is probably 8 mths old now , we got her the same day as we got our GSL , the GSL has been laying for over 2 mths now , so why isent my RIR ? i just dont get it

Some hens start laying later than others, and the breed may also mean that they lay at diferent times. If your hen still doesn't lay in quite a while you should make sure she is a hen. Sometimes young 'female' chickens could turn out to be male.

Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

wouldent i know by 10 mths if she is a rooster? she does like to, i thought that the RIRs were supposed to be great layers

Can you post a picture of her? That way we can tell for sure if she's a hen. Also, perhaps she was younger than you thought when you got her? Does she squat for you?

Ill see if I have a newer pic of her on here , she was 1 day old when we got her , so i know im correct on her age ...

there she is , she is the second one in on the left ... im not sure if this is a good pic of her for what your looking for tho

Okay, well, you're definitally right about her age then :) Do you know how old she was in the picture? A recent one would be great, too. Is it possible she has a hidden nest?

That pic was from about a mth ago , she looks about the same lol. we have looked around for a nest , because they do free range, but there is nothing from her .... she dosent squat like the other 3 do.. I really have no idea , my husband says that she is just a dud, and I just want to figure out why she isent laying

Hmm....that is odd. By the way, I'm actually in the same dilemma as you; my maran is almost 9 months and no eggs! I think it might be because she had mites awhile back it and it stunted her growth, though. Do you have a run? If so, I would lock them up in it a little bit, because free ranging chickens can lay in really odd places! I wouldn't give up and say she's a dud yet; I know of a particular ancona who layed when she was over a year old!

Back
Top Bottom