My RIR last three eggs have been speckled....like paint splatter, but

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    you can rub off the speckles. Is this just excess calcium? I think they are rather pretty regardless.

Thanks!!

2. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Bump!

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Hey fellow Virginian!

Well, that happens to a lot of our eggs too. Like sometimes they look kind of powdery, but if you wipe them it goes away. Maybe it's the bloom coating that keeps bacteria out?

Oh just checked out your website - lemon pie - yummy!!!!! I would have eaten it ![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    It's excess bloom. Nothing to worry about.

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    happens to mine all the time too

6. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:Hey friend!!!!

I think it might be extra calcium, it only comes off if you scratch at it. LOL!! Come on over and I will make you some pie!!

Where are you guys?

7. Gallusfarm

Jul 14, 2009

I think it might be extra calcium, it only comes off if you scratch at it. LOL!! Come on over and I will make you some pie!!

Where are you guys?

Thanks for the offer to make pie. So sweet. We're in Prince George County, near Hopewell. Are you coming to the poultry show on Sat.? It's at the state fairgrounds. Lots of birds to see!!

8. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia

Where are you guys?

Thanks for the offer to make pie. So sweet. We're in Prince George County, near Hopewell. Are you coming to the poultry show on Sat.? It's at the state fairgrounds. Lots of birds to see!!

You are right up the road! I didn't know there was one. Hmmmm, off to check it out. I am thinking I might need to do a little road trip.

9. Gallusfarm

Jul 14, 2009
    Nothing like a fall road trip! This is my first show, so I'm really excited. Warning though: there will be birds for sale!!! Maybe I'll see you there. Oh, I'm Suzette I have blonde hair and glasses and I've entered a few Dominiques. I don't know if you're on pet chickens of VA, but there is a lady on there that has Buckeyes, (weebug) and I adopted one of her roos and I have entered him as well. Buckeyes are neat birds!!

http://vapoultrybreeders.angelfire.com/

10. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    We've had a couple of our hens lay eggs like that too. I was giving them extra oyster shell at one point and the shells were speckled and really thick so I cut that out. We still get a speckled one now and then but they seem fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by