My RIR Neelix died a few weeks ago and I'm devastated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kasia, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I haven't been on here since October. My husband and I had a HUGE rescue on October 14th, a park was shutting down and they were already starting construction, draining their pond and they have over 60 ducks that had no place to go. So Will and I went out there in the middle of the night, in complete darkness, with all kinds of construction equipment and debris, and we managed to get all the Muscovy ducks out and safe. The mallards flew off. We rehomed all the Muscovies. So I felt we did a really good deed and I was quite proud.

Well, the next day I was giving my indoor chickens a treat, left over pancakes from McDonald's from that morning. Half an hour later, I found Neelix dead in one of the bedrooms. He was still warm but clearly gone and rigor mortis has already set in. I screamed and begged my husband to do CPR on him. He was my baby!

Neelix was my very first pet chicken. We got him at a garden center for Easter 2007. He went EVERYWHERE with us and he slept on the bed. He has big and gentle and a total sweetheart! He was only 3 1/2 years old! He has NEVER been sick, and the only time he's been to the vet was to get his spurs trimmed.

Now, running a rescue, we do lose a few. But Neelix was different. He was MY one and only. And I can't get over losing him and it's driving me crazy. We had him cremated.

But here is my question. He died on a Friday, and so we had to hold on to him till Monday to take him to Heaven't Pets. Monday when I picked him up, all this bloody water came out of his mouth and nose, when I pressed on his crop, more bloody water came out. We have had others die and never had bloody water come out of their crop. I called my vet to see if I could bring him in for a necropsy, but he said that since I didn't have him in the fridge, he wouldn't be able to tell what he died of because of decomposition. So I'll never know what he died from. He was acting normal, crowing, chasing me, always answered when I called his name. So how does a perfectly healthy rooster go from being himself one minute and dead the next?

I'm really devastated, there's this huge hole in my heart and I just can't stop crying. I have so many other chickens, but they're not Neelix. I joined this board right after I got him. I always lurked around but didn't start posting till recently. Can anyone help me figure out what he could have died from?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So sorry about your big boy! Blood coming from the mouth can mean his heart failed. I've had that experience myself--a Delaware pullet's heart imploded as she was about to come into lay. Her chest was full of that dark, arterial blood and one chamber of her heart was collapsed. Found her right after she passed, with blood coming from her beak. She was breathing heavily the night before and her heart was pounding, but there was nothing we could do. Roosters often die of heart failure.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful boy. Those pictures tell what a sweetheart he was.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The pictures speak a thousand words. It always seems that it's our favorite(s) that succumb. I'm sorry for your loss.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Well I tell you, nobody had it better than that chicken by the looks of it. They are sweet little things, aren't they?

6. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Thank you all. I forgot to mention that when I found him, he looked like he was just sleeping on the floor by the dresser. He had his head tucked into his wing. I walked into the room and just knew, because Neelix was just too picky and he NEVER slept or sat on the floor. He always had to be on a chair or on the sofa or bed, ANYWHERE but the floor. We all called him King Neelix because he always had to be above the floor. He was so spoiled and loved! And when one of us walked in with something really yummy, he would go OOOOOHHHH! Just like a little kid. That meant he wasn't about to share THAT with any other chicken.

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    [​IMG] I swear, you could write a real cute children's book about that rooster. It sure sounds like he went so peaceably in his sleep. There are so many long, drawn out illnesses in chickens, he went the best way possible that's for sure.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I am so sorry for your loss ... it is clear to see that your big, beautiful boy was much loved. I know you'll hold him in your heart forever. [​IMG]

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    My SIL had a rooster as a pet growing up in Chicago. They had a place for him down in the basement but he did spend a lot of time in the house is what I gather. They also had a 1/2 acre yard. He lived about 7 years and man she was real broken up when she lost him. I think he was the only pet she really had growing up. I have to say that I've had real good luck with the RIR roosters. For the most part, they've been very sweet and easy to handle.

10. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    This makes me so sad! I am so sorry you lost this little guy!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by