MY RIR PULLETS FINALLY LAID AN EGG!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RW19290, Mar 26, 2009.

1. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    My Rhode Island Red Pullets FINALLY laid an egg. It was so tiny! Unfortunately, it broke because it had a frail shell.

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It looks like your on your way. [​IMG] It's great isn't it? How old is she? I have RIR's and I love them.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

Try to offer your girl some oyster shell and see if that helps the frail shell issue.

The fact that the egg was small is very normal! They will get bigger with the more she lays. [​IMG]

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Right now I only have 3 hens and 1 roo RIR-they took 6 months to lay-but when they did wow-huge eggs still... they are 10 months old right now and numerous times I get double yolks. They eat laying pellets and corn-we also feed them -ready ?? pasta and rice--they love it-but their favorite treats --tortilla chips!!! of course they eat fruits and veggies-but they love bagels too-especially the everything bagels--Im getting my first bator sat and plan to start incubating this weekend for my very first time!!! Good luck

6. Mamaof10hens

Mamaof10hens Out Of The Brooder

CONGRATS! we just got our first brahma egg!

7. carbon county chicks

carbon county chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    how old are your RIR's the just started laying?? mine are 6 months this week and still not laying [​IMG] I think they're getting close because of bright red combs.....still waiting.

8. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't think mine would start laying either. Then about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I picked up some eggs from a BYC'er to incubate. You guessed it, my RIR 's decided they would start laying.

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Congrats on the egg! [​IMG]

I have RIR's and they are my best layers. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

10. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:they are turning 4 months in april!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by