My RIR rooster is becoming mean!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 12GAGirl, May 28, 2010.

1. 12GAGirl

12GAGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Well I knew when my lil rir rooster was so sweet when he was young would not last long. He has run into the back of my legs twice now in the last few days. He had attacked my Dad one time a couple of months ago but I figured it was because Hercules was not use to seeing my dad in the chicken kingdom but now he has attacked my husband and now me. So what are some tips to calm this guy down before I end up killing him?

2. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Two choices. 1) show him who is the dominant roo (whack the crap out of him) or 2) eat him (whack the crap out of him with extreme prejudice in case he didn't get the message the first time). I just put one on fridge camp this morning who got too big for his britches. My children's safety comes before my animal's (read pets) well being. Mean = dead around here. Get the message or hit the pot dude. Just my two cents. The behavior is just that, a behavior. He wants to assert his dominance. Dogs, do it, chickens do it. They either learn they YOU and your family are dominant, or they don't.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    My family has learned to live with our mean rooster. We raised him from an egg so he is not afraid of us. I have a walking stick that I have retrofitted with a couple of cross members that I use to fend him off. When I'm in the mood I just reach down and pick him up and tuck him under my arm (like a football player) and walk around with him as I tend to things. When I tire of carring him I set him down and he just wonders back to his girls and assumes his role of protecting them. He is VERY protective of his girls. We have decided that he is just doing his job and he does it well so we are careful around him.[​IMG]
    Good Luck

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    They usually do, from what I hear. Getta Delaware.

5. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    my RIR roo has never attacked me infact he protects me and my family if our Chinese Gander"Lucy" decides he wants to bite

6. cerridwenn

cerridwenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    every animal has a unique personality and i recognize that. however even so, RIR roosters are famous for being excessively bossy and yes downright mean, both to their flock and to their humans. actually the hens sometimes got that way too. i grew up with hundreds of RIRs and we never could keep a rooster more than a couple of months, because they would never learn their place and invariably terrorized the hens and often broke eggs. and you can't sell people blood eggs or broken ones, so both things meant a trip straight to the dinner table. pop pop was always very kind and fair to his flock, but they were definitely not pets and bad behavior was something he couldn't tolerate. sorry if yours are pets, i know that will sound kind of harsh and it's not meant to be, just a comment on my experience.

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I have always read that RIR roosters are known to be mean. I have not had one myself, but I can tell you that you would not want to mess with our two little RIR hens. They definitely rule the roost. Great egg-layers, but feisty as heck.

8. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    My RIR was very aggressive even before he was really a "rooster". He was a gentleman to his ladies, though. My husband killed him when he was 8 months old, and I will never own another RIR rooster.

9. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    I must be verry lucky then to have a RIR that is docile and kind

10. madavis25

madavis25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Of my 4 different hens, only the RIR is mean. She hasn't pecked at us, but she sure does growl when we irritate her. She is a great layer, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by