1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My RIR rooster ran away! Where do they like to go?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alphazimbo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. alphazimbo

alphazimbo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Hello,

I'm fairly new to this chicken thing (and loving it!) and got myself a beautiful RIR rooster today - he's 4 months and quite friendly. Not old enough to keep my hens in line, though so I separated him from the hens and he was in his own run...

Anyway, it seems that he got bored, or hungry, or homesick or whatever and decided to fly away! We have quite a lot of land so I'm sure he's still on our property - I just have no idea where a rooster would go?! It is dark now so I have given up on searching for him and will have a look in the morning. I don't have to worry too much about predators because we live in New Zealand - I just want to find him so I can clip his wings!!

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tanya

2. kezabel

kezabel Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope he comes home and he probably will.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    New Zealand! What a lucky rooster! I would probably run away too because it is so pretty there... anyway he is probably in a tree somewhere and he will come back when he gets hungry enough hopefully... I would suggest looking up because they do not sleep on the ground usually... do you have any neighboors??? I have a friend whose chickens attracted the neighboorhood chickens and roosters so they might be visiting [​IMG] Good Luck!

4. alphazimbo

alphazimbo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    My awesome awesome hubby found my rooster in his workshop! He was up in the rafters. So anyway, I fed him and then clipped his wing and he is quite content now - and so am I!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by