my rir x leghorn is climbing my trees....help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henrietta101, Oct 31, 2011.

1. henrietta101

henrietta101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    I am new to this chicken keeping. I purchased a rir x leghorn today. Yes, only one. (I will be buying 3 more on Wednesday). Anyway, all was going well, it is a very friendly little bird 16 weeks. Then it started to fly around, up on my windown sill which was fine as I was chopping carrots. The problem began when it started to flap up into the trees. I really lost it when she flew up into my 2 year old sons face and he has a scratch under his eye. He wasnt doing anything to her just standing there looking at her.

We have built a house with a run so she is locked away safe tonight. Trouble was in the fenced yard part she climbs into trees going towards my neighbours fence. Is this normal? I spoke to a friend who said to clip her wings. Is it normal that you need to clip their wings? is this just part of chicken keeping and i did not know about it? should it fix my problem?

Please help. I am REALLY upset as I did not expect this flying thing and have put her area in a lovely spot with trees and vines. I wanted the chickens to keep cool in the heat this summer

2. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Hi
    Clipping her wings should stop the tree problems but she could still jump/flap up into your boy's face. I don't know what would stop that happening; she might be less flighty with companions. Any of our birds that show a tendency to fly get clipped: one of the Limousines (Coq de Peche) nominated herself just earlier. She launched herself from the roof of the coop (about 3' off the ground) and cleared my head by a good 2' in pursuit of something juicy. I'm 6' - she landed about 20' away. darn impressive but I'm sharpening the scissors.

3. henrietta101

Oct 8, 2011
    once they are clipped how high can they fly? [​IMG]

4. henrietta101

Oct 8, 2011
    do all breeds have this difficulty?

5. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Depends on the breed, I guess; I've never seen our Brahmas get even a few inches off the ground. Our Maran and Sussex hens can clear a 5' fence and they've been clipped! None of the roos seem to have the ooomph to get too high but they probably don't need to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by