My RIRs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggcellent, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Here's my little RIR flock. Sorry their feathers are a mess but they really need to start a molt. They usually haven't been so mottled in appearance. I am assuming these are production type RIRs but they look like they conform a little more than some of the other production types I have looked at here on BYC. They were all hatched this spring. Would you call them production RIRs? I don't really care either way because these 5 hens give me 4-5 eggs everyday. Even with winter here.

[​IMG]

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yeah those are Production reds and a nice looking flock I might add. Good picture shot I can't get lucky enough for a shot like that.

catdaddy

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  4. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Hey There Eggselent:

I have just what you have, only 25 of them. 25 hens, 1 Roo. I love them, I got them as chicks from Ideal Hatchery March 12, 09 and they are great chickens. I am in E. Central Oklahoma, and it's been cold here, but mine are really thickly feathered and doing well.

One of hens went broody in September, hatched 11 baby chicks October 22, 09. How's that for a great chicken??

I now have a total of about 40 chickens, and really want some more. Two things I cannot resist: Dark chocolate and chickens.

DonnaBelle

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those RIR look better than most hatchery reds.... dark color... nice.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That is such a cute pic! They're so plump- almost look like red orps! Nice [​IMG]

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    As hatchery stock goes those are very nice. Pretty nice type and way better than average color. They look like they have decent size as well. Any idea where the original stock came from? Way nicer than the hatchery stuff I started with.,

8. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Beatuful ladies and very nice .I plan on getting some from Ideal Hatchery in Cameron ,Tx this February and some meaties .

9. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Thanks guys. These were our first chickens and have been very good birds. They aren't aggressive or flighty towards people at all although the hens can be ruthless on other birds. I am not sure where the original stock came from on these. The local breeder I got them from said she gets RIRs from various places in order to get a genetically diverse group. The roo is just starting to get green in his hackles. I think he will look a lot better this spring.

10. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Quote:I can pretty much get a shot like that any time because they aren't at all afraid of people. You can just walk up to any of them any time and pick them up. Not from my doing though... My kids held these birds every day from 11 weeks on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by