My Rocky roo can no do...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atira, Feb 10, 2013.

1. atira

atira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    southern Ohio
    I have a very dominant hen who will not let my rooster breed. Every time he tries to do his thing, this hen chases him off. She wasn't like this before with my other rooster. She just hates this one.
    I am considering artificially insemination of my rooster to at least 3 of my hens and have a video from a breeder on YouTube who shows how to do it.
    Talked to a couple of vets about the proper size collection thing for the rooster.
    Anyone else ever tried this? I went out one day and checked all of my hens to make sure I totally understood their parts and the rooster just watched. He doesn't know it, but he will be coming into the house soon along with the hens and I am going to do what I have to do to get him to "work".
    If you have tried this, please let me know how things went. Thanks.

2. atira

atira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    southern Ohio
    Changed my avatar...the hen in it is my problem girl.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    How long have you had the new rooster? If she is the dominant hen it might that he hasn't yet established himself???

4. atira

atira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    southern Ohio
    I have had Rocky since June of 2012 and got him at the tender age of 4 months. He is acting feisty though for the past couple of days. Maybe I will have to forgo the artificial thing. Otherwise...look out chickens I am now your obstetrician. lol

5. atira

atira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    southern Ohio
    Side-note on my "dominant" hen...to be a Bantam, with an attitude, and willing to protect the flock herself against cats, dogs and critters in general; it makes me wonder if she has an ostrich complex and doesn't realize she only weighs 30 ounces. She is great on sitting eggs and raising chicks though...you have to give her that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by