My rohode island still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shangri-lafarms, Apr 21, 2009.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    I have a rhode Island red that was born june 1 2008 still no eggs from these ladies...do they stop laying in winter if so when will they start up again?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW that is a long time. I know some chickens just take longer to start laying. And yes they stop in the winter, or slow down... Mine are all laying again now.

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Wow, I hope I don't have to wait that long. Mine were just born March 1. Just my limited knowledge is that the lack of sunlight slowed them. OR, you have an egg eater.

4. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    Wow. My RIRs born first week of June, 08 started laying in October and have been going strong ever since straight through the winter even without any artificial light. [​IMG]

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Some do stop in the winter. You never can tell with birds. If they are hatchery birds I would have expected them to lay. If they are show birds, eggs can be slow incoming...might be issues with light and or feed

6. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    thanks all for your advice, i think I'll get a light going this weekend and some type of egglaying feed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by