my roo did a strange thing today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkwindsong, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Hi.. I have a young LF gold barred Cochin, he is aprox 15-16 weeks old,, he crows, he acts bossy like a rooster would.. today I noticed he and my white Leghorn pullet how is 23 weeks old. jump up and do that rooster fight thing.. and then it hit me.. OMG Maybe my wht leghorn isnt a hen at all.. will hens do that jump up in the air fighting thing? shes never crowed? should she have by now is she was a roo.. I need pics of adult white leghorn roos and hens i guess to see

pink

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    When I had more than one rooster, only the head guy crowed. [​IMG]

3. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    I bet if you post a pic of your leghorn thee are plenty of folks who could let you know if it is a he or she.

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i have hens fight younger roos before. it's not uncommon. at 23 weeks she'd be laying or ready to lay. you should be able to tell by now-she'd have sickles and saddles and pointed hackles. post a pic and we'll be able to tell you for sure [​IMG]

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    We'd need a pic to tell, but I have an EE hen that would face off and raise hackles and jump at my gigantic cochin roo.. And she'd get him to back off, too! [​IMG] (She's definitely a girl, laying for a year now)..

6. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Here is my white leghorn hen!! She is kinda old though!! She was a retired layer when I got her!!

[​IMG]

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, leghorns are notoriously hard to sex, due to the large comb size in both genders, but that looks like a hen..

8. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Looks like a girl to me.
    Maybe she was trying to be boss.

9. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    One of my Barred Rocks that I'm SURE is a hen (literally watched her drop an egg,lol) is really not backing down to the advances of my Porcelain. He wants some jiggy time and she is NOT having it (we just got rid of-processed- her mate, she's not ready to move on I guess) he will run up to try and chicken surf her and she runs at him like a rooster. Eventually he backs off. So, you could have a hen that's just strong willed. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your leghorn is definately a hen, and it is not at all unusual for mature hens to spar with uppity young cockerels that are feeling their oats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by