My Roo Doesn't Crow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shannonwbl, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mid March '09 hatched cochin roo that has not crowed. Is this unusual for a cochin?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You are SOOOOO blessed.

If you breed him and he has offspring that also don't crow, you have yourself a money maker!

3. Shannonwbl

I know most people would LOVE a silent roo, but I am bummed. We have only had hens and I was looking forward to the "ambiance". My hubby says with 12 hens to take care of he can't get a word in edgewise [​IMG] !

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Not fair, I have a blue cochin roo still in the brooder that is practicing his (pitiful) crow already! Little Tyrant.
    If yours doesn't crow, I want some of his offspring. Please

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Serious, if he's fertile and produces offspring that don't crow... you have a real money maker there. Could be a new gene!

6. Shannonwbl

Quote:Only time will tell on the crowing. I try to teach him by example on occasion, but he just walks away. I am sure laughing. I actually wondered if he was mute, but he does "churtle".

I don't have any cochin hens so any offspring would be "mutts", but I may have to loan him out for breeding. I am sure he would be happy to cooperate!

7. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Quote:My Blue Cochin was hatched on May 5th, then officially first crowed on Oct 5th and I thought that was a long time...

Little Ricky crowing in the backyard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIsQzuvMIMI

Please
    post up a pic of your rooster,

--Hughster

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I have a BR roo that I purchased at a feed store in April around Easter so that makes him 8 mos. old and yesterday evening I heard him crow for the first time ever . He crowed twice and not a peep since then. Boy, was it horrible though. If that's the best he can do I hope he stays quiet from now on. [​IMG]

catdaddy

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  9. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Wow! I would love to have one like him. One of a kind.

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Shannonwbl,

Please, please, please post a short video of you teaching him to crow. Please !!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by