My Roo has “tassels” - what breed has them?

ktpaco

Chirping
Nov 25, 2015
D7D4A3F4-93E6-4D6C-AE96-05BB485739E2.jpeg
so I bred this Roo from a Swedish flower Roo and a blue laying Easter egger (so of course she was a mix). Not only does he have excellent genetics to fight off bad chicken diseases (he got Merck’s at about 20 weeks old), he has these neat “tassels” (hanging feathers that are very Flowy). Is there a breed of chicken that has this as their typical appearance? I would like to order some chicks of that breed, if so. Here are a few pics of what I’m talking about - hope this helps to identify the breed his mom must have been crossed with. The tasselscome off his body between his tail and legs.

Attachments

• 52B8E7F5-19E4-4D64-A703-B49071EC3933.jpeg
    52B8E7F5-19E4-4D64-A703-B49071EC3933.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 12
Those are male only saddle feathers. All male chickens grow them, as opposed to female rounded and poofy saddle feathers.

Ok, I said 'all' but there are a few breeds who's males are 'hen' feathered and don't grow male saddle feathers. For the most part though, those are male specific saddle feathers.
Saddle Feathers.jpg

So I have many roosters - and none of them had these beautiful tassels - so I never noticed saddle feathers before. I suspect that is because they didn't have such dramatic colors that made them stand out, and also because never owned a breed that has them as prominent. So I'm thinking janiedoe may be on something - I don't have, nor really checked out the Favorelle breed - so maybe he (Chaz Bono is his name) - could have favorelle in him. These saddle feathers just hang so low, and flow so much - I figured it must have been a breed related trait. His daddy did not have prominent saddle feathers, nor does Chaz's other brothers. Billy, the dad, got MS and was almost over it, but ended up dying from what I think was pneumonia (which I may have caused when helping him get over the MS). He was five years old - and produced excellent chicks that seem to have very strong/resistent genes to chicken diseases, so I will keep that going in my closed flock (only introducing young pullets from a reputable seller/large producer when I'm low on hens). Thank you everyone for your info! I really appreciate it :)
Yes. I agree they can be longer in certain breeds and way more obvious sometimes due to coloring as well. I can see them on both my barnevelder and my Easter Egger but they're way more flowy and obvious on the Easter Egger.
20190819_184047.jpg
20190819_184056(0).jpg

Those are male only saddle feathers. All male chickens grow them, as opposed to female rounded and poofy saddle feathers.

Ok, I said 'all' but there are a few breeds who's males are 'hen' feathered and don't grow male saddle feathers. For the most part though, those are male specific saddle feathers.View attachment 1886460
Almost all, but yes I agree. I see male saddle feathers and that's about it. I'm curious to see the swedish flower roo as he should have them too just perhaps not quite as obvious due to coloring

So I have many roosters - and none of them had these beautiful tassels - so I never noticed saddle feathers before. I suspect that is because they didn't have such dramatic colors that made them stand out, and also because never owned a breed that has them as prominent. So I'm thinking janiedoe may be on something - I don't have, nor really checked out the Favorelle breed - so maybe he (Chaz Bono is his name) - could have favorelle in him. These saddle feathers just hang so low, and flow so much - I figured it must have been a breed related trait. His daddy did not have prominent saddle feathers, nor does Chaz's other brothers. Billy, the dad, got MS and was almost over it, but ended up dying from what I think was pneumonia (which I may have caused when helping him get over the MS). He was five years old - and produced excellent chicks that seem to have very strong/resistent genes to chicken diseases, so I will keep that going in my closed flock (only introducing young pullets from a reputable seller/large producer when I'm low on hens). Thank you everyone for your info! I really appreciate it :)

Yes. I agree they can be longer in certain breeds and way more obvious sometimes due to coloring as well. I can see them on both my barnevelder and my Easter Egger but they're way more flowy and obvious on the Easter Egger.
View attachment 1888101 View attachment 1888104

His mom Cher looks like your EE rooster from the head up! Then her body was brown. It was a unique combo.

Back
Top Bottom