my roo is a jerk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by delfargo, Sep 14, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

well, it finally happened, my 12 week old lakenvelder roo finally charged me. saturday i was in the fenced-in area with my chicks, just hanging out with them when Magellin (that's his name), came walking up to me. i noticed he had a strange look on his face, and was kinda shaking his head side to side. then, out of nowhere, he jumped up and started kicking me in the leg. i was a bit startled, as he has always been pretty cool. not ultra-friendly, but approachable (once in a while he would even let us pet him), so i stepped back and he charged at me again, feet lying. i didn't "kick" him, but instinctively pushed him back with my foot. so then i just yelled at him and started toward him at a slow walk, and kinda just followed him around for a while and he kept his distance. sunday he caused no problems, but then again on monday, i was doing some cleaning in the coop and he snuck in behind me when my back was turned and went at me again. so once again, i just yelled at him and then started stalking him around the pen and he backed off.
    what a jerk!
    i have read that lakenvelders are pretty nice roosters, but this guy needs to chill his jets. he's also becoming pretty aggressive to the ladies, constantly chasing them around, pulling feathers, pecking. i suppose he's just doing his job, but my once peaceful chicken farm is quickly becoming a battle ground.
    i think i'll wait a while and see how violent he gets with the hens come mating time before making any decisions on his fate, but i do have one question...
    at what age is a rooster ready for the stew-pot?
    funny how quickly he changed from "nice guy" to total "A-hole".

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Sounds as though he is getting much too big for his boots much too soon.

Do you really WANT him for breeding?

Sandie

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If he's going to change at all, you need to communicate to him that you're the boss NOW. Twelve weeks is still a possibly maleable age. Think of him as a 12 year old boy who is too big for his britches. You can give him reign of the house, and he'll become a completely uncontrollable teenager and then an abusive man - or you can teach him some manners now, and let him know how the cow ate the cabbage, hopefully resulting in a gentleman you can be proud of.

In answer to your actual question, i like to butcher dual purpose boys at 19 weeks. I have butchered as early as 12 weeks.

Here's a great page about rooster reform. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4810

4. delfargo

no, sandi, i don't want him for breeding. i just thought having a roo around would be fun (i love to hear them crow) and also a good idea, as i've read it's good to have one to keep the girls "in line", warn them of danger, protect to flock, etc..., and i still do love to hear him crow, but, like you said, he's getting a bit too "full of himself".
    i thought i'd like to keep him around if i can get him to mellow out a bit, but i'm kinda afraid for the hens. i've read that mating can get pretty ugly with all the "treading" they do. so i'm thinking about taking him to a guy who lives down the road that butchers chickens (i couldn't do it myself, even if his IS a jerk).
    just didn't know how old they need to be for the butcher block.
    and thanx for the link, beth. i'd like to "reform" him and keep him around, so i'll give the article a read. i've been reading all i can about this topic, so maybe i can turn his attitude around a bit and have peace at delfargo farm again.
    thank you both for the in-put.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  5. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I have a young one just starting to do his "I wanna be the boss stuff." I just imitate what he does right back to him and he runs off. Chicken! [​IMG] But mine are all banties.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm really sorry your Lakenvelder roo is a jerk. Mine just turned a year old and he is fantastic. He dropped a wing on me one time just as he started to mature and has NEVER done it again(without me doing a thing except picking him up). I wish all of my boys had his disposition.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've never been able to 'do the deed' either.

A roo is a good idea to have around as they keep order in the flock, provide fertile eggs, are glamorous etc. If this little upstart proves more of a liability than an asset, I'm sure you will be able to get a mature roo who will treat you and your girls with a lot more respect. He is young, though, and MAY just be behaving like a testosterone-troubled-teen with a potential to be a perfect gentleman.

Sandie

8. delfargo

yeah, lynxs, i do the same thing, imitating him.
    when i walk up to the fence, he raises his wings high in the air, so i raise my arms out to my sides and "crow" back at him. i'm gonna keep trying. i've read alot about the power of just "picking him up" in front of the ladies. they say it "humbles" him. the problem i have is "cathching" him. he's pretty quick.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. hillfarm

hillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    If he's going to change at all, you need to communicate to him that you're the boss NOW. Twelve weeks is still a possibly maleable age. Think of him as a 12 year old boy who is too big for his britches. You can give him reign of the house, and he'll become a completely uncontrollable teenager and then an abusive man - or you can teach him some manners now, and let him know how the cow ate the cabbage, hopefully resulting in a gentleman you can be proud of.

In answer to your actual question, i like to butcher dual purpose boys at 19 weeks. I have butchered as early as 12 weeks.

'

:DHahaha. How the cow at the cabbage. I read that and the first thing I did was look at where your from. TEXAS. Only other person I know says that is my mama. We are from central Texas. LOL. I love it.

10. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    What does "The cow ate the cabbage" mean? I`m a dumb northerer and want to be edumacated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by