My roo is having eye issues!! please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaybats, Jun 29, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    One of my roos (the bigger one of two, same breed RIR) seems to be having problems with his right eye. He blinks it more than the left and sometimes it's more than a blink...closed for several seconds at a time. When it is open, there is no sign of trauma....no redness, no bleeding, no swelling, no signs of pecking..it looks like his beautiful eye. He took an extra long dirt bath this afternoon. I was concerned, but being new at this thought that maybe they do that sometimes. Could he have gotten dirt in his eye? Is he in pain? What can I do?

He came right away for treats, so is not lethargic, or unresponsive....please help dear experts!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely he got dirt in his eye. You can flush his eye with saline solution.

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    thank you dawg. He just seemed to be enjoying himself so much, I didn't think much of it. Can I use the saline solution I use for my contact lenses? Or is there something else? And How would I flush it? Do I stick his head in a bowl of it for a second or two? Won't he get angry with me and be afraid of me from then on? Or be so angry he will never come to me again?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yes, you can use the saline solution for contact lenses. You can use an eyedropper or syringe without a needle to flush his eye, it shouldnt take much to flush it out. You can use a towel to snugly wrap around him to keep him from trying to run away or flapping his wings. Try and get someone to help you hold him down so you can quickly flush his eye. Once you flush the eye, it will be ok to go ahead and release him. He might shake his head or try and scratch the area, but he will be ok, just monitor him for a day or so...everything will be fine.

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you again dawg. I am such a nervous nelly sometimes when it comes to my flock...I have fallen so in love with them all and don't want anything to happen to any of them. I spend a lot of time in my garden which is very close to the coop/run and watch them almost all day. They are the perfect excuse for taking extra long breaks:) I have become so close to them; I can tell right away when something is just not right. I am so relieved this is not as serious as I ALMOST made it out to be...this site is simply fantastic! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by