My roo is muffed is he an Araucanas(Ameraucanas) ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guinea Goonie, Feb 15, 2009.

1. I have a small wild colored roo that is in my flock. For a long time I did not think he was going to make it (his hen was killed). He mourned for months. Now he is out free ranging with the others.

If you need a pic of him I can get one tomorrow. He has a diffident
    "muff" around both eyes and under his beak. He is pretty, but he does not breed anyone that I know of. He is still pretty thin from the mourning.

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Sounds like an ee or ameraucana . Araucana have tufts that stick out from behind there ears

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Can you post a pic?

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes, Picture please

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Picture would help, but I'm guessing EE, Araucana have tufts not muffs. [​IMG] It's always possible it's an Ameraucana, but you would probably know that since you would most likely have gotten it from a breeder [​IMG]

6. OK gang. Here is a decent pic of the boy.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. He is doing so much better. Today I gathered him up and feed him seperately from the flock. He ate really well. Today he is out in free range.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    he looks like an EE or an Ameraucana

8. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Is he a large fowl or bantam?? Looks ee , pretty big beard and muffs, love to see a pic of him crowing and stretching his neck out..pretty looking color on him as well. Id put him on some hi protein feed or give him some canned cat food to pep him up..
    Charlie

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  9. He is a pretty small guy, i would not say bantam exactly, but definitely not a big boy.

Weird thing is this is how he looks ALL the time. I have not seen him crow or stretch his neck out !!

10. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    His coloring is Blue Wheaton which is a recognized color in the Ameraucana breed. Hard to tell for sure though. Does he have slate colored legs? Looks like a bantam also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by