My Roo is very sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DoraBud1, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DoraBud1

DoraBud1 New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Elbert, Colorado
    Hi all, I found my White Rock roo huddled in the corner of the coop yesterday. Feathers all fluffed up, squatting with head low to ground, eyes closed, and pasty butt. Brought him in to take a better look and while on my kitchen floor - pooped. I noticed what I thought to be blood in the poop (picture attached). I started him on Corid last night. He wouldn't eat or drink so I fed him every couple hours with a syringe. He walked around very little and seemed very unsure on his feet. This morning he looks worse. I haven't seen any more blood, but poo is very runny. And now he is weazing a little bit. Still have to force water and food, and now when you set him down he falls to the side or forward. I'm pretty sure he is dying but I won't quit trying until he does.

Also, crop was not hard and no foul smell from mouth

Was I wrong -- was this not Cocci? None of my other hens are sick (I put Corid in their water too as a prevention). The whole flock was wormed 4 months ago.

Did I miss something? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. DoraBud1

DoraBud1 New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Elbert, Colorado
    My beautiful Colonal Sanders died this afternoon. I am beyond heartbroken .

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh no, I'm so sorry your dear rooster died. Sometimes an illness progresses so quickly there is little that can be done. I know how sad it is to lose a chicken.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Can you send him to your state lab for a necropsy? They do them free here in CA, and they even let you use their FedEx account to save on shipping. Maybe CO has a similar program? Again, sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by