My roo jumped on my 2yo Son Today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PineLaneFarms, Jul 3, 2011.

1. PineLaneFarms

PineLaneFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    as the subject say my 2yo roo jumped on my 19 mo son today. we just got the rooster a week or so ago and he is just getting used to me and has never showed agression towards me at all. he has even let me hold him before. my grandfather says i should destroy him but i feel like the rooster was scared and protected himself. we have told my son a thousand times not to run up on him. I feel bad that my son was scratched but i feel like it was the roos natural reaction. You wouldnt try to pet a growling dog what should i do??

2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    um a 2yr old is gonna run around no matter how many times you tell him! lol! and I'm afraid to say this but any roo that shows agression will keep doing it. I've had to get rid of several that attack my children for no reason at all. They were great w/ their ladies but just can't have my real babies being attacked. Some drew blood! You are bigger and dominant at the moment but he'd probably start coming at you eventually too. If you don't get rid of him I would watch your son very closely. I had one jump up and peck my daughter in the eyeball! Some of them are just not nice!

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    What? Really? Are you making a choice between your child's safety and a new rooster? Get rid of it, ASAP. Freezer camp would be good for it -

I'm not usually this blunt - but you'll be sorry if you decide to keep it. He'll hurt your child worse next time, guaranteed.

4. PineLaneFarms

Jun 13, 2011
    i see what your both are saying i just wanted a second opinion. i wouldnt think twice if the rooster wasnt provoked at all and attacked

5. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    CAMP STEWPOT

**God put humans at the top of the food chain for a reason, and don't forget it**

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Toddlers run and startle chickens. Find a roo who is ok with that or have no roo. The current roo goes to freezer camp. Our roos may not all love the kids, but they know to behave.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm thinking your child is a lot more important than any rooster, With roosters around small children there is always the possibility of irreparable damage to their eyes or face. Kids will be kids and roosters will be roosters. Frequently the two do not mix well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. PineLaneFarms

Jun 13, 2011
    of course my son is most important could anyone else recommend a breed that is good with small children or should my hens be ok without one

9. Upcycled

Upcycled Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Oh, and it is also about relative size. Roo sees an adversary in your small son. Roo sees YOU as an ALPHA, who is bigger, though he could come at you too, eventually.

Some folks rid themelves of aggressive Roos. Raise one up from a chick, and I will bet you you will RARELY have that problem. But one that already comes complete with his own ideas about his place in the pecking order? Forget it>>>

She named her hens, but my Grandma didn't call all her Roos "Pot O' Dumplins" for nothing.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Your hens will be fine without a rooster. But be aware that hens will also attack small children. In my opinion, small children and chickens don't mix very well, unless one on one and very closely supervised. Chicken love to peck shiny things, like eyeballs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by