My roo repeatedly escapes the pen. HELP please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Emily D, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Emily D

Emily D Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    I have 8 chickens in my flock. The 7 hens are Hollands and ISA browns. My roo is an ISA brown. The fence around the enclosure was originally 5 feet tall but he kept getting out so I doubled the size. It is now 10 feet tall and the coop roof next to it is even taller. Sometimes I look out the window and see my roo on the roof of the coop or even on the wrong side of the fence. There are several predators around my farm so this can be dangerous. I am taking them to a show so I am hoping not to have to clip their wings. There is no way for him to have gone through the fence. I didn't even know they could fly that high! Please help! How can I get him to stay???[​IMG]

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    You can put a top on it.

3. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    I have considered this but the top of the enclosure is
    I have considered this but the top of the enclosure is uneven so a top would not stay on. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

4. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    A pic of your run would help.

5. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    What about a net over the top, maybe just a cheap one like the ones you get for over fruit trees, zip tie it to the top of the fence and staple it to the coop, it works for me...

1 person likes this.
  7. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    That's a good idea. Thanks! Do you know where I could get one?

8. LotsA Cluckin

LotsA Cluckin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Walling, TN
    Be sure they are plenty of food and water at all times inside of the run. I have found that when my birds have ran out of feed they try to jump fences but if they have everything they need inside and have plenty of room to scratch and dust bath then they will have no reason to jump the fences.

If your bids have all that already I guess your boy is not satisfied with his girls LOL

1 person likes this.
  9. Emily D

Jul 26, 2014
    The girls pick on him sometimes and they are a little low on grass but everything else you mentioned is all there. Thanks for your response :)

10. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by