My Roo the Gigalo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2boxers, Aug 12, 2008.

1. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    We had five roosters and six hens and we kept them apart because frankly, I didn't think the hens could handle it. Then we found new homes for all but one roo. We "socialized them" slowly the way you would a dog. I gave them short periods of time together to start, then let them mingle longer and longer-always supervised. It seemed to work well and then hens had developed a healthy respect for him. Last night, he mated with each hen, over and over and over again. The finally ran into the coop. Then he stood in the run and puffed up like he had conquered a nation. I watched him do the same thing this morning, only they retreated to the nesting boxes.

I am pretty new to all of this, and I am wondering if this is okay. Is he just asserting himself and whipping them into shape or is he a perv?

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I think pretty much all roosters are pervs. But that seems to be normal.

3. 2boxers

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Lord at my typos in the first post! I am 'shamed of myself!

So anyhow, roos are typical males and mine is no more perverted than any other. Thank you. I was worried that I had some sort of weird deviant male.

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    The roo that I had was a perv too. He was young and had 11 hens to himself. He was always "visiting" the ladies. Good luck with your "ladies man"! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sheesh, get some more hens for this fellow already.... hopefully he'll get tired

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Admit it, you're secretly attracted to us bad boys.

7. 2boxers

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I confess..I do love bad boys & outlaws!

Mahonri, I'm workin in it! I had no idea he was going to be so randy once the other roos were gone. What man wouldn't love to have 6 or more women all to himself?

I'm just relieved that he's not a freak or something. I was worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by