My roo tried to ...um you know

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 6, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, all my chickens are 13 weeks. Today I noticed my EE roo trying to ...you know ...one of my hens. Is this common? Does this mean it's egg laying time for her? What does this mean. I just have a very studdly roo? LOL.
    Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    How old are the boys? A teenage chicken is no different than a teenage boy. In less than five weeks he will have worked out any kinks and you will have some nice fertile eggs. It could take a little longer if all the hens are EEs.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    No, it doesn't mean it's time for her to lay eggs. It just means that it is time for him to breed.

Roosters don't have to wait for hens to "come of age" before breeding. They'll jump any hen/pullet they can get a hold of.

-Kim

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:There's just so much to say to that, but I don't want to get myself in trouble! [​IMG]

5. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Don't feel too bad. My roo is the same way. My hens have just started laying. I was out at the pen yesterday for 20 minutes and he was quite busy! He is also a stud. Love is in the air! LOL![​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cockerals and Roosters are worse than Rabbits. All the time. All day long. All the hours in between. Some even start at 2 months of age. It has nothing at all to do with the pullets and hens. It is all about the rooster. Selfish devils [​IMG]

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ah, yes, I remember it well... sighhhhh

8. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    It's even better when the other roos watch. [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep - and the roosters aren't worried a bit about underage girls.

Their attempts at mating have nothing to do with how soon you will get an egg. Most breeds will start laying no sooner than 20 weeks, and 23 weeks or beyond is not uncommon for the 'non-production' breeds.

10. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    So I just have a hormonally charged Roo. Shucks, I thought maybe my pullets were getting ready and I didn't know it. I did however think that we could see eggs as early as 16 weeks, guess I was wrong.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by