My roo was attacked by my neighbor’s dog last yesterday.

Jdastardly

Chirping
Apr 12, 2016
Greensboro, NC
As the title states, my roo was attacked by my neighbor’s dog yesterday evening. When I got to him he was clearly in shock so after cleaning him up and treating the injuries, I brought him inside for the night to separate him and keep him warm.

Injuries include minor punctures in his neck and last night his right eye seemed to be bleeding. His left eye appears fine but he’s keeping both eye lids closed. I can pull both open and the right eye now appears to be all black, I’m guessing it was caught by a tooth. The left eye seems ok though. When I pull open the eyelid, his pupil adjusts to light. I can’t tell if he can see but it seems that way.

Last night, he was almost comatose, and didn’t want to stand up but would drink water occasionally. This morning he is crowing, standing and flapping his wings occasionally, but still won’t open his eyes. He also won’t eat, but I’m sure that that has to do with him not being able to see. Any advice? Unfortunately, like many of us, I can’t get a hold of a vet right now. I treated the wounds on his neck with hydrogen peroxide and water, around his eyes was just warm water. Then I sprayed blue kote one the wounds. I’m not sure how to approach the eyes though, I was thinking Terramyacin?
Thanks y’all!

Terramycin eye ointment is good to use in his eye. Stop the peroxide, since it may prevent healing. The BluKote is for minor scrapes, but if he has punctures or deeper wounds, Vetericyn or a similar wound spray from the feed store is good to use, and floow that with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Watch for any abscess in the next 2 days. Mix some wet feed and a little scrambled egg, canned cat food, or tuna to stimulate him to try eating. Water is more important, and you can mix it in feed. It sounds like he will make it.

x2. You can use those disposable hospital pads or puppy pads, or old towels, as bedding, not shavings in the house, and to help keep those wounds clean. If he's improving you might be doing all he needs. If not, tomorrow talk to your veterinarian about him. Silvadene is a really good Rx only wound dressing, and he might need either injectable or oral antibiotics too.
All those drugs are off label for chickens, but he's not laying eggs, and you won't be eating him. Sometimes you just have to do things anyway.
He needs to be eating today!
Mary

Terramycin eye ointment is good to use in his eye. Stop the peroxide, since it may prevent healing. The BluKote is for minor scrapes, but if he has punctures or deeper wounds, Vetericyn or a similar wound spray from the feed store is good to use, and floow that with plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Watch for any abscess in the next 2 days. Mix some wet feed and a little scrambled egg, canned cat food, or tuna to stimulate him to try eating. Water is more important, and you can mix it in feed. It sounds like he will make it.
Thanks for the info! I hadn’t heard of vetericyn, I’ll get some today. He is still willing to drink, and did happily eat some tuna.

Check with your feed stores for Vetericyn or Theracyn. Tractor Supply is open, but they are trying to get people to order online to pick up at the store. Good luck with your rooster.
Just left tractor supply with a couple wound care options, chicken vitamins and food. Also figured that if he’s going to be setup in a box in my shop, might as well set up for some new chicks too.

Happy update, because things change just that quickly. So I got off work early and ran by the hardware store to get what I need to build my boy a new run. And I sat him in the grass next to me while I worked. He basically sat like in a chicken coma the whole time. As I started cleaning up, I treated his wounds again and put some eye ointment on and saw his inner eyelid flicking. Then just like that, his eye opened just a bit and it was like he was rooster again. It’s obvious that his vision isn’t 100% yet but we was looking around and even started to scratch the ground again. Then I took him down to his girls so he could hear them while they were being fed and he came to life. Strutting and talking. I don’t know if he’ll ever be able to be unsupervised with the whole flock because even through the fence he was getting pecked at, but I have a gentle hen that is a bit of a loaner when it comes to the other girls that may be a good companion for him in the new run.

Oh that is great news. Chickens are amazing at recovery. I hope that he continues to recover. It is possible that he might be blind in the one eye, but they can get along pretty well with sight in one eye.

Oh that is great news. Chickens are amazing at recovery. I hope that he continues to recover. It is possible that he might be blind in the one eye, but they can get along pretty well with sight in one eye.
Oh, I’m pretty sure the one eye is gone. I was inspecting him this evening and saw a definite puncture on that eyelid. It was great to see him spin his head around to look at his surroundings.

I’m feeling confident that he’ll be back to his nasty, aggressive self in no time, haha.

I’m feeling confident that he’ll be back to his nasty, aggressive self in no time, haha.

Wait until he appears to have regained his mojo before reintroducing him to his flock. As a matter of fact when he appears ready introduce the flock to him one at a time over a matter of days starting with the calmest hens first. As quickly as he is responding I think he just make be okay even with one eye.

Back
Top Bottom