my roo wont leave my dog alone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barred Rocks forever, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    my dog has been with my roo since it was a chick and now he keeps trying to attack my dog im scared that she will turn aound and bite him someday what should i do ? it use to be people but i took care of that problem

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    what breed is the roo?

3. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    barred rock he just started doing this

4. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I found a site http://hubpages.com/hub/Taming-Wild-Roosters it talks about taming rooster, don't know if it works. I take my roosters that get to aggresive away from his hen for a week or more. Holding him every day without letting him get the upper hand. If it does not in prove I would get rid of him. I have only had to get rid of game breeds do to aggression, never any non-game. I hope this might help.

5. Sunnychick

Sunnychick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    My little dog was always after my roo. I always stayed close by just in case one of them got hurt but now they have become friends. They look forward to chasing each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
  7. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Not sure. It kinda would be a trail and error thing. Rooster can be crazy. He might think that the dog is infringing on his territory or some odd competition. It seems to me that some roosters are just aggressive at heart. And that you may not be able to change. Make sure that the roo does not have long and/or pointed spurs that could harm the dog. I would try to separate him from any hens for a week or so and see if he improve. If he is the only roo than he might need competition. You could try to get another roo and see if that helps if you don't already have more than that one. The main problem is there is no telling why he does this and it is hard to solve. You know that saying "if only animals could talk" I think it fits well here. Sorry I can't think or any sure fire way to help. [​IMG]

8. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    another roo would be nice would that really work ?

9. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    It might work no guaranties. But it should keep him busy. Since they will be free run they will be able to escape each out if need be. The will be one cock of the yard but they will keep trying each other to keep the pecking order established. Hens also keep the roos busy. Feed, mate, fight (pecking order), and sleep is the main things chickens do. My game chickens would fight to the death if I don't keep them separate but poultry roos normally don't fight that long one runs away to fight another day. It is easier to see it than to have it typed out.

10. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

I love my chickens but I also understand that they are animals and do things out of instinct with no regard to others. So I would say, take care of your poor dog. Because if the rooster was to get him in the eye that would be very very sad. One of my girls always puffs up whenever my cat walks by and it makes me upset because my cat just ignores the hens but that one hen is a trouble maker she would be stew if she ever hurt my cat.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by