my Roo won't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daystardoberman, Nov 20, 2016.

1. daystardoberman

daystardoberman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    I have a production Red roo that has for some time, lost his outer feathers from the mid back down, he isn't bald, he has down feathers, no tail. Only Roo, Gold Sex link hens that don't bother him. Today, I went to feed, and he was sitting, like a hen on eggs kind of sitting. Never seen him do this. I went to pick him up and he got up to avoid me, but couldn't walk, really limpy. I did pick him up and he fussed, but let me look him over, No mites, clear skin with pin feathers,etc. I set him back down, but again, he couldn't walk. I put him in the yard and he did eat grass I picked, but didn't stand. I got him up on his feet and they don't look right, but I can't pinpoint why. He was thirsty and drank water that he limped over to, but has a bad time getting around, just wants to sit. Any reasons or advice? I'm a novice on poultry, so I don't know much. I have cephalexin and injectable penicillin in my fridge, but don't know what is wrong, so I don't want to give him the wrong thing and kill him. He is an exceptionally well behaved roo and I don't want to lose him.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? If he is molting, he could be weaker and it might be common to find a molting rooster in a nest box, especially if he doesn't feel well. He may have injured his leg or hip, or he could have a disease, such as bacterial or viral arthritis, Mareks disease, gout, or a vitamin deficiency. Look for any swelling of his legs and feet joints. Examine his foot pads for scabs or bumble foot infection. Check to see if he walks or sits on his hocks or elbows, if his toes curl under, and if he can move his feet and toes. Use some poultry vitamins in his water, and make sure that he is eating a balanced feed. Layer feed can have too much calcium in it, so all flock or chick feed may be better.

3. daystardoberman

daystardoberman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    hes' about 2. his toes are a bit curled under, Is it too late? How do you feed him a different feed as the hens? This came on very suddenly, he was Ok yesterday.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Eggcessive has given you good information which I won't repeat.

As to how to feed him separately from the hens, you don't. Typically you feed all the birds an all flock type feed and supply oyster shell or calcite grit for the laying gals so they get enough calcium (they will self feed on that while the roo won't).

Since you said feather loss, I'll assume molting (unless you've got severe feather mite infestation). That does lower the immune system to allow overgrowth.

My first thought with something that comes on quickly is coccidiosis or a lurking bacterial. My emergency go to for that is Sulmet which treats coccidiosis and a number of bacterial infections quickly.

I'd also put the chick saver vitamins in the water to boost him in case of deficiency there. The curling toes give me an idea of vitamin deficiency, usually B...which can be an result of coccidiosis as well.

The 18% all flock protein will be beneficial for molting in case he is protein weak.

And yeah, calcium in the layer feed is not good for our boys. Kidney shut down can cause all sorts of havoc.

Really hard to know without proper vet lab work and assessment, so without that, you've simply got to throw common treatments and hope something works.

Good luck with your boy.

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled under toes, and sitting or walking on the hocks or elbows. Give him some poultry vitamins in his water that contain riboflavin or B2. NutriDrench does not have it. A picture of his feet might help. Many of us feed layer to all of our birds without problems, but ideally, it is best for them to have an all flock feed with calcium on the side, as Lady of Mc pointed out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by