My Roo's been BUSY!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krcote, Jan 18, 2009.

1. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I just set my first ever eggs 4 nights ago in a still air hovabator. I just candled for the first time, very clearly I saw ALL 37 developing chicks! Is this normal?!?!? I thought I would have mostly duds for sure, since they are just the first trial clutch of my own barn yard mutts. What in the heck am I gonna do with 37 chicks?!?!!?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Sell them [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you'll get lucky and not all of them will make it.

I know it sounds harsh, but alot don't make it very far. I once hatched four eggs with a broody and only two made it. One wasn't fertile and the other just stopped growing one day...

4. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    They are not much for sellin' since they are all mutts! I have a couple of friends I've gotten into chickens and they are lined up for a few but sheeeeesh! I'm gonna have to get back into the "A chicken in every backyard" mode!

5. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    i think that mutts are very unique

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    A friend of mine hatched "mutts" from her flock. She listed them on craigs list. They were sold within a matter of hours. There are plenty of people who don't care if they are mutts or not.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    For the record... most mutts lay better than pure breeds and they're cheap. Just about everyone I know personally HAS mutts. Kind of cliche, but they're like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. [​IMG]

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I love my mutts [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't think our new China Game roo is going to work out. It's only been since Friday but I haven't even seen him attempt to mate. I'm wondering if it's cuz they all scared the hades out of him. He is now the boss of all of them, but I've not even seen the dance!

10. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    You know Mahonri I was seriously doubting the fertility of these eggs becaue the weather has been so cold (like -22!) and I had not seen the dance or the act at all for so long. But apparently he was getting the job done behind my back. Just goes to show little it really takes, and how excessive he usually is! You should throw some eggs in the bator just to see what he's really been up to behind your back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by