My rooster and one Buff Orp hen died in my arms

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
I wrote yesterday on another post about my young rooster and a hen sitting still and acting sick. They did not appear to have worms, mites and did not have very watery poop. I went to the feed store today and bought some antibiotics, and vitamins. They would not eat or drink so I put some in an eye dropper and gave first the hen who was the sickest a drink and she immediately went limp and died. I knew she was sick, but I did not expect her to die. I then picked up Gilbert the rooster who seemed not as sick and I gave him a swallow and he also immediately died. I am wondering if I did something wrong and killed them? I am feeling horrible and guilting. I was only trying to help them.

Oh, Alaskachick, that really sucks with a capital S. I'm so sorry. Did you by chance put a call in to an avian vet and describe what happened? It seems pretty suspect that ONE bird would die immediately after the administration of the antibiotic/ vitamins, much less TWO. Don't be consumed by guilt, but DO make some calls and do some homework to see if they were the wrong antibiotics, dosage, etc. I'm certainly not a vet but that does seem odd, and heartbreakingly so. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Did they drink it or did it get into their airsacks? I had a hen go south after only getting a little fluid into her lungs.
I felt terrible too but sometimes we make mistakes and the worst thing to do is not learn from them.

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

They may have been very close to death, and when you gave them the meds the little bit of extra stress was just too much.

I work at a vet's office, and we had a poodle who seemed ok, she was sick but when we moved her from the cage to the table to give her some subcutaneous fluids, she started dying. Nothing we could do would stop it. It's like they just give up sometimes.

It's not your fault.
hugs.gif

I have determined in my mind that I must of drowned my two birds. Gilbert the rooster was not sick enuff to just collapse like he did. I must of pushed the liquid down his air sacs. Gilbert was a 1-1/2 year old Cukoo Maran who only a couple of weeks ago was digging up worms and instead of eating them himself he would call for his girls to come eat first. He was a great rooster who only crowed once a day. Buffy the Orp was a huge egg maker. Her eggs did not have a pointy end. There were round on both ends. I am heartbroken that Gilbert won't be in the yard tomorrow, especially that it didn't have to be, I just did not know what I was doing. Thanks for all your kind words.

I am so new to the chicken world, but I do not believe you could've drowned them, they were too sick to swallow it all in.

hugs.gif
You were doing the best you can, that's more then most people!

Back
Top Bottom