My rooster attacked me and his spur came off

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
I was giving my chickens water and like always my easter egger rooster attacked my and this time he attacked my leg like he does and it hit my boot and it stung of course then I looked at him and his spur was hanging down and had blood down his foot and it fell off and he has blood running down his foot.

He'll be fine. Using some corn starch or chalk will stop the bleeding if you don't have any blood stop powder. Just keep an eye on it so it won't get infected. You can dab it with a Betadine soaked cotton ball before powdering the wound.

Don't worry, he should be fine. Stop the bleeding (if it hasn't stopped already) with styptic powder, cornstarch, or, in a pinch, flour. Try to keep the injured area clean, and watch for infection. Maybe put some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains caine/cain ingredients, as those are harmful to birds) or another disinfectant on it. It will probably grow back if given time--roosters' spurs are always growing.

Last edited:
In the pen there is spots of blood where he was standing and its still bleeding a little i think,so just shake some corn startch on it and it should stop

This is a picture of him from 2 years ago
He's a handsome rooster.
smile.png

Yes it will.
I hate to contradict Michael but I strongly doubt that your roo's spur will regrow. It looks like he slipped or knocked the whole spur from his leg and that means that the part of his spur from which new growth comes was lost. If only the outer hull had been lost his spur would have regrown from the nub on his foot. Sorry.

I hate to contradict Michael but I strongly doubt that your roo's spur will regrow. It looks like he slipped or knocked the whole spur from his leg and that means that the part of his spur from which new growth comes was lost. If only the outer hull had been lost his spur would have regrown from the nub on his foot. Sorry.

I know. Hopefully the outgrowth/quick from the tarsometatarsal bone isn't completely gone. If there's still a foundation of it, it may grow back.

Back
Top Bottom