My rooster attacked me. He's gone

rolffamily

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Wisconsin
"Simon" was 15 months old. Flogged my leg when I walked in the coop two mornings ago. Even though he didn't have spurs yet, it hurt plus scared the pants off me. And he was going to come at me for round two, except I chased him out of the coop.

He was guarding his girls and I respect that, but I can't keep a dangerous animal. I have grandkids so he lost his one and only chance.

I gave him back to the man I got him from as a chick. In return I got a Beautiful Big Rock Rooster that is older and more mellow. Wish me luck on this one.

Good for you! There are too many nice roosters to put up with a mean one.
smile.png

Well I know how you feel first time I get flogged which it's coming with one if not both of the roo's we have now. The good thing is my better half loves to cook with chicken
smile.png

Thanks for this thread. I had no idea there were varying degrees of "nice" in a rooster. I have two preschool grandsons that love my young chickens, but it never occurred to me that when the cockerels got older some could be mean.

Quote:
Actually, no, he wasn't. He was being stupid and human aggressive. An intelligent rooster knows that the person who feeds and waters the flock is not a threat, even if that person is holding a screaming, struggling hen. Hopefully, your new one is smarter.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom