My rooster attacked my son today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by besjoux, Dec 14, 2012.

1. besjoux

besjoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    This was a rooster that we did not raise as a pet and I always was dominate over him. He's increasingly more cocky and younger. Anyways, we have decided to not keep him. I just don't think rooster's and kids mix. The only thing my 4 year old did was play with his bike around the rooster. I should have known. He somewhat challenged me today and I held my ground but also had my baby in the carrier....so I can't risk her. Nonetheless, he gave in with me. I show no fear with him but I can tell you I ran after him with a weapon when he attacked my son. Luckily, nothing happenned and the rooster does not have spurs. But this is my first experience with hens and a rooster with my kids. I don't want them to be scared of them.

Do some roosters just get mean? I have only seen nice roosters at the zoo and even there I am not so sure. Is it his breeding? He is a Golden Laced Wyandotte from Meyer Hatchery.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "I just don't think roosters and kids mix." Solid and rational statement, and an excellent decision on getting rid of the rooster. Very possibly you could modify his behavior, but roosters and children are not a good mix. Many roosters become defensive of their territory and their hens. It's how they have protected them and secured breeding rights throughout the development of chickens. I'm not certain that he's mean. He's just a rooster being a breeding male. All that being said, no parent can risk putting their children in harms way. I commend your decision to not keep him. Time enough in the future for a rooster when your children are older.

1 person likes this.
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

X 2.

I never tolerate a mean rooster. Period.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yeeeeup

I've got a big ol' Rhode Island Red rooster and he's as gentle as puppy. Never "raised him to be a pet", just ignored him growing up, to tell you the truth. I just wanted him to ignore me, really. I'm just the guy who brings food and water and such. Once he seemed assured, in his maturity, that I was no threat to him and I'm no rooster to challenge, I can stand by him, walk by him, gather eggs, etc. Shoot, I could pet him if I was a petter. LOL

There's just one thing. When I need to round up the flock? I move slowly. I don't rush him. He's always the last one into the barn. He's got a job to do and that is watch over his harem. That's fine, and I respect it. He's the real deal and I really like him.

Kids? That's a whole 'nother deal. They herk and jerk, jump and yell. The rooster can easily misinterpret all that and doesn't know what to make of it. Is it threatening? The rooster isn't sure. Little kids and cock birds don't mix real well.

2 people like this.
  5. Aumlet

Aumlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    I have some cockerals I could send over [​IMG]True, that's a selfish offer but I swear they have a high chance of being good boys. Mom is puppy dog sweet, and dad is a bantam roo who doesn't attack me even when I have to catch one of the flightier hens who act like I'm ripping them apart, He gets very upset, but won't attack. He's a watchful rooster and good to the ladies but I'd never worry about him around kids. He's too small to be much of a threat to predators, but as far as urban chickens go he's great.

Did I mention he has 2 sons I need to get rid of? [​IMG]

6. besjoux

Apr 7, 2012
    The problem is that my son is scared to death of him now. He cried for over 10 minutes. He would like "Roo" not to be "stew" (we always said his name is Roo until he does something and then we are renaming him "stew") and rehomed. So I listed him on CL and responded to a wanted ad. I think he just needs someone to stand their ground. My son will never stand his ground and will run from him which makes the situation worse....so he has to go. I love free ranging them when we are play outside but I don't want my son scared. He did say that he would like a "nice" rooster LOL. He loves to hear Roo crow. I did notice that gradually when his hens would come to me he would race over to check on them. I agree with you, he's not "mean"...he's doing his job and his girls are going to miss him. He was a good boy to them...a bit oversexed but he's a teenager right now. Maybe that is part of the problem? I knew, in my heart, that we would not keep him and I'm glad he provided us this opportunity to get rid of him BEFORE he had spurs and could hurt my kiddos.

7. besjoux

Apr 7, 2012
    That is exactly what did happen. They were playing with their toys and running around. Problem is that we lost one to a predator (a hen) so we only let them out when we are around them. Someday we will have another when they are allllllllll much older. We have a ways to go LOL

8. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    It appears the decision has been made.
    In the future, I would remember that it is easier to train a child than a rooster.
    When my grandson wanted to start helping with the chickens - getting eggs, feeding, watering - I had to teach him that the rooster needed watching, and how to react if the old boy tried to intimidate him. It happened a couple times, but the grandson knew what to do and did it.
    If you keep a roo, you have to expect this kind of interaction and be prepared.
    Don't blame the roo for being a roo. In other threads, we praise our roos for defending their flocks, warning of attacks, etc.
    My 2 cents.

9. besjoux

Apr 7, 2012
    My kids are 2, 4 and 4 months. I have warned them but I feel they are too you and could get really hurt. Sorry, not worth it. They were doing nothing more Han playing with their bikes. Unfortunately the hens like to come over and investigate which brings the rooster over

10. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We had to re home a dog when my kids were young. Your children's safety comes first. It's hard but your kids well grow up before you know it. My are 19 and 23 years old now. There will be time for a rooster later. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by