My rooster attacks my family!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Nov 21, 2013.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Hi everyone my seventh month old polish roo always attacks my kids and my husbend I don't know what to do I don't want to kill him or harm him I just want to get him to stop attacking my family he is very skid dish and really aggressive towards my 12year old daughter.when she comes to collected eggs or visit she comes in now carring a stick.i really want to do something I am not used to this behavior from him he also is really mean to my hens.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You might try posting in the Chicken Behaviors section. My experience with aggressive roosters is that they need a trip to the freezer, ideally before they seriously injure a child.

3. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Yes I do think that may have to be done.so far he hasn't broken any skin he mostly just flies at them and my husbend normally kicks him when he flies at him.he doesn't mess with my husbend really any more!in fact he normally runs awaylol

4. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

The BYC home page is having an article "Dealing With Roosters". That might help.

5. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Crock pot

6. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    We are considering getting rid if him

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yup. My preference is with dumplings. There are good roosters out there, so don't put up with a mean one.

1 person likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mean to humans, mean to the hens - he'd have to go if he lived here. Aggression is to a large degree a heritable trait. Any roosters sired by him might very well be nasty.

9. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    X2

10. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    X 3 on the article. He is however just being a Rooster but you have to protect your kids. Hubby should protect himself lol. Have you tried dominating him? It worked for mine. When he started his crap he got rolled over, feathers ruffled & hung upside down for a bit ( article also rec. this ) I do the same to my hens if they get dominant. [​IMG] Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by