My Rooster Crowed!!!! Do I have more? what do ya think...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catholder, Jun 17, 2009.

1. catholder

catholder In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Cerrillos, NM
    Someone out there will appreciate this...My chickens are now 11 1/2 weeks and I was just outside with them when my rooster crowed from inside the coop - I peeked in and he was proudly sitting on the highest roost - I told him how proud I was to hear that and asked to hear him again and he DID!! Right in front of me and very good tone I might add. [​IMG]

So my question is I have 15 chickens all mixed - I have three each:
    Buff Orpington
    Deleware
    Barrock
    Production Red
    Cali White - 1 of thes is the rooster.

All are 11 1/2 weeks old and none of the other chickens look like the rooster - a very big comb and very big waddle - When my Cali White rooster crows will others try to up his call or answer him if there are any other roosters? Or would you say I have 1 rooster and 14 hens? [​IMG]
    The different breeds are throwing me off - I am a first time chicken owner so I'm wondering what you think.

Thanks

2. raspeary

raspeary Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    I dont' know the answer. I had a cornish rock rooster at 2 months old start crowing. His tone was good, just not perfect on the melody. He almost got it right before butcher day. Kind of interesting.

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    They will not all crow...depends on who is highest on the pecking order...

4. catholder

catholder In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Cerrillos, NM
    Ok - I have a few suspensions with some of the chickens - I'm hoping for the 14 hens...but he is the smallest of all the chickens but definitely acts in control of the flock - thanks!

5. emit

emit In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    my chicks are the same age and it sounded like someone was trying to kill someone. Then another one sounded like it was whispering a crow very cool only I did not want that many roos
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: