1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster decided he is a grown up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    and his first act of being an adult was to attempt to mate with me. I heard a lot of excited noises as I opened the chicken coop yesterday morning. Then I felt resistance as I Went to walk to the shed for food. Vincent, my red sex link roo who is a little over 4 months old had a hold of my pant leg and was attempting to mate with me. He tried a couple times but I pinned him down and made him go into a submissive stance before letting him go. He then proceeded to try to mate with the pullets... backwards.

Here's something odd though... when I pinned him he shrieked and my full grown hens came over and got angry at him! They put their hackles up and were going to attack him! What's with that? And why won't the older girls let him near them?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe your girls think you are the head rooster. My girls take no crap from cockerals, they whip the snot out of them for not having any game. Eventually he'll get the swing of things and he'll be bossing all of your hens around, just make sure he's well aware the you are not one of those hens. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by