My rooster did something really neat today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sunnychooks, May 11, 2009.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I was out in the chicken yard today watching my chickens and saw my rooster do something that really surprised me.
    I have two of those polyeurathane feeders with the raised bottom on the inside. The floor of the feeder is shaped like a cone so that the feed slides down the floor of the feeder to the holes around the outside. When the feeder is almost empty there is sometimes still food inside that didn't slide down.
    Today I saw my rooster go to the feeder and when he saw there wasn't any food in the holes he used his head to pick up the metal handle that was hanging along the side and let it drop, hitting the side of the feeder. When it hit, food came spilling down! He did this for several minutes over and over again until he had eaten all the food that was left in the feeder!
    No one can ever tell me chickens are dumb!!!

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Did he treat his ladies too or eat it all himself?

3. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    heehee, how cute. [​IMG]

4. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Robin'sBrood :

Did he treat his ladies too or eat it all himself?

He was smart enough to eat "on the sly"! [​IMG]

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    One of my little ones did something that made me laugh. It was her first time outside on the ground to roam and scratch and just be free. Well, she and her cage mate stayed together but they wandered where the others didn't when they where first out. They came to where we where working on the cover to the run where their parents are. They just stood there and watched us for a few minutes then my chihuahua came running up to them expecting them to run and they actually went after her. They are half her size and they ran after her. It surprised her too. Usually only the adult roos will challange her. She would never hurt them, she is just playing but it was funny to see a chick scare her away. A roo got her today too. He was inside the run and she was outside of it wanting the scraps I gave them. While she was trying to get her nose through the chidken wire he pecked her on her nose to chase her off. Scared her to death. It was so funny. this dog we call Crack Head sometimes because when it comes to food she acts like she is starving to death and just has to have what ever it is she smells. Well, that roo wasn't giving it up. By the way her name is Powder not Crack Head. She just earned that name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by