My rooster died last night how long are the eggs fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SoccerMomof7, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay my little Foghorn died last night and I was wondering how long the eggs are fertile? I am only getting eggs rarely but if possible I would like to try to hatch one to see if I can get a Foghorn Jr., the only problem is that I am getting eggs rarely and have never incubated eggs before. I don't know what to do any suggestions? I have 1 egg from today and all the previous eggs I kept in to refrigerator. Are they still good? Somebody please help me!

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The eggs can be fertile up to 4 weeks, but 14 days is a better guess. It is possible the egge in the fridge are good and will hatch. You can save the eggs for up to 7 days, the hatch rate drops fast after that. If you have never incubated eggs before, look around locally for someone that has. It is not as esy as some of us make it seem. If you can't find anyone check with the 4H, FFA or a local sholl that has a farm program. They should be able to help you.

3. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I live in hutchinson kansas is there anyone around here that can incubate for me??? please???

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I pulled eggs out ofthe fridge and they have been in there for 14 days atleast. I put them in the bator and now their on day 11 now and there was 4 out of 7 fertile but I believe I lost one to the power outage last night.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I had 2 in the fridge that I pulled out and the one from tonight. The other 2 were only in there 1 day so hopfully that won't hurt them.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If he was sick before he died, he may not have been fertilizing eggs......

But, 10-14 days would be my guess also, and I would pull eggs out of the fridge too.

7. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Thats what is weird, he wasn't sick before hand and he was less then a year old and no visable injuries. I don't know what got him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by