My rooster died :(

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
Well let me say this,I got this roo last summer from my science teacher(he raises chickens),who was going to butcher him becouse he kept ripping up his plants.So I bought him off of him.He was an OEGB,very beutiful.What I noticed was that he was pretty old but healthy.So I enjoyed the summer listening to him crowing he lived with a old hen in the winter.Then in the summer I got baby chicks I was hoping they would cross with him when they grew up.Well a week ago in the morning my roo was happily pecking things threw the snow when a young hawk attacked him.I ran barefoot out into the snow and kicked the hawk off of him which flew away.Tiny Tim(my roo) seemed okay so I put him in with the young pullets.Well this morning I got up let them all out but Tiny Tim never did.It looked like he died in a peacfull way surrounded by his flock.I finished digging a hole through the frozen ground and hes laying right next to my dog Harry.I think that with the recent coldness and the hawk attack really did to much to him then he could handle.I just wish that my pullets would be laying and I would have baby tiny tims.Ill miss you Tiny Tim.

I am sorry and I lost seven pullets in two months four to coccidiosis, raccoon got one, a dog got one, one just disappeared more than likely a hawk

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss! It sounds like he was a beautiful bird, and I think it's good you took him in and gave him a happy year or more of life where he may have been killed earlier.

I lost my rooster to old age (he was ten or eleven years old) about a month ago, and it's always hard to say goodbye to a friend, feathered or not.
sad.png
Remember him fondly, and try not to blame yourself for his passing. You did a good thing taking him in and giving him a happy life and a peaceful passing.

I feel your loss. The same thing happened to my OEGB, Ricky Roo. Except, I didn't see the attack. I went to shut them up one day and did the count and realized hewas not with his girls. I called and searched until it was too dark to see. Then continueing the search the next day. He was gone though, I assume a chicken hawk. I was very attached to him and felt horrible. It took a couple of months to be okay with it and not cry each time I thought about him. It's crazy just how attached we become to these birds. I am sorry for your loss. Perhaps he WAS able to fertilize some of the eggs and you will indeed have a Tiny Tim Jr. in a month or so. I hoped for the same thing and allowed by broody to go ahead and sit on her eggs in hopes that they would indeed hatch, and they did!!!! I now have 4 chicks from him, and two are roos! May Tiny Tim's legacy live on for you as well.......
fl.gif

aw...sorry to hear about your pet.

Too bad you weren't any closer you could have any of my roosters... ee's and buff orps.

Back
Top Bottom