My Rooster Dilemma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wolftalk, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Okay so I ended up with 3 bantie eggs in August. I hatched them and now Ive got 2 Roosers and 1 hen. The bigger and more dominant rooster beats up on the other little guy ALL THE TIME. [​IMG] He gets run off the food, and I feel super bad for him but love all of them way to much to get rid of either of them! I think i will move the dominant guy out of there and get him his own girl. Would he be okay without the hen he has now? They have been together for almost 5 months and i feel bad about splitting then up. Part of the problem is also another coop, I have limited coop supplies, and i wouldnt have the slightest clue about they type of coop theyd need. Also, I dont know where I would get A bantie hen. So thats the story, any advice would help me out. And if some one could thro w out some coop ideas that would also be extremely helpfull! Please BYCers help me out! Thank you guys! I <3 BYC!!!!

Also, the dominant rooster just attacked my little sister [​IMG] hes a problem

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Sometimes if you provide an additional feeder/waterer, the chicken who is being picked on can eat and drink more easily since he wouldn't have to eat/drink from the ones the dominant rooster uses. Providing a hiding place or two can help, too. That's about all I can think of to do other than putting one of them in a separate coop. From what I've read, the rooster should be fine in a separate coop with another hen. Hopefully someone who has more experience with chickens will provide you a better answer. Good luck!

3. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    Thank you very much for your info!

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'd get rid of the one that attacked your sister. No need to put up with a mean roo. I'd also find more bantam hens for the remaining guy.

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I found a simple way to process bantams, if that is what you need. [​IMG] Great method for just one chicken. Let me know....

6. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    There isnt enough meat on that dum bird if i wanted to eat him! He weighs like 2 lbs. And i hand raised him, i couldnt get rid of him or eat him! Thanks though!

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Get rid of the bad roo!!!

8. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    I wish i could! But i dont have the heart!

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would lock your naughty rooster away by himself, since you don't wanna get rid of him. Make him his own pen, without any ladies, that way his only interaction is with you. Then you can show him your the dominant animal. If you make his space big enough, you can use it as a bachelor pen in case you run into this problem again [​IMG] without hens, roos tend to be more docile. And they usually don't have problems living together. Check out your local Craigslist for more hens. Good luck!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Two roosters and one hen is not a set of good circumstances for a variety of reasons. More hens, separate pens, or one less rooster might serve as solutions. If you can't cull/get rid of excess roosters, you might want to reconsider hatching any more chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by