My Rooster Does Interpretive Dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beth K., Dec 16, 2011.

1. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    I looked out the window this afternoon and saw my BO rooster Chunky walk up to Sabrina (Barred Rock) all stiff legged. He started circling around her with his primary feathers flared. She walked off kind of disinterestedly and he stopped. I've seen him do that little dance several times now. Is this a courtship kind of thing?

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    It's the act of dominance - he's saying "bow to me woman!" he'll do it to anyone or anything he wants to bow to him as royal king of the roosters. [​IMG]

3. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Ah, that would explain why both my roosters do it to each other. [​IMG] Danke!

4. ChickenLittle74

ChickenLittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    My roo struts around and then does a fast, little shuffle... all while making a sort of "coo-ing" noise. I've gotta try to catch the dance on video! It's hilarious!!!

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I love watching my roo do his wing moves.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    "The dance" can be part of mating and part of asserting dominance. It can be used in both acts. Sometimes it is used to impress the ladies to see if they will squat for them. If the hen likes the rooster majority of the time she will. If not she might walk/run away or turn around to fight the suitor (to test him [​IMG] ). Some roos will do the dance to a lesser roo, one the roo is not sure if it is a hen or not, or to start a fight. There have also been cases of hens doing "the dance", but they normally will do this as a dominate gesture.

7. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    My girls don't get a chance to squat, he grabs them by the head and takes it! LOL

8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Sounds like he don't like the word NO. [​IMG] I have had a few like that, too. Others try "the dance" and if that does not work then they just make them like it. [​IMG]

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

It translates roughly into, "Make me a sandwich, woman!"

10. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    My young Roo tried that with some of the older hens. They chased him all over the run and pecked more than a few feathers. He ran right back to his Mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by