My rooster feeds my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brandichick, Mar 13, 2015.

1. brandichick

brandichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2014
    California
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of roosters feeding hens?

I have a Cochin rooster who takes treats (like grapes or worms) and holds them in his beak,

while making excited clucky sounds, and waits for one of the hens to come and take it from him.

I almost wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. This is the first year I've had chickens so I'm still discovering

new things about them.

Is this a normal behavior for a rooster?

Thanks![​IMG]

2. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Yep my boy does this to. Sweethearts aren't they? :)

3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Oh and it's normal lol it's his job to take care of his girl's! Sounds like he is

4. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Heck, my Roo even lets the 3 girls take things out of his mouth. I am always saying "save some for Roo Roo girls" I tried even getting Roo inside of Run and closing gate and saying "here Roo Roo the girls are Piggies" He will lots times take the treat etc and drop it for the girls and make noises for them to come and get it... even millworms..
    . I told him hes too good to them. That He must eat more so he can be even a stronger Roo to protect his Ladies>>>>>
    JUst my experiences with two different Roos

5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I had never had a "good" rooster till the welsummer the I currently have. I'm absolutely in love with him. He's hollered for the girls to take cover from a stray dog he feeds them and he's so gentle with mating that he could do it right next to you and you wouldn't know it unless you saw him. He's nice to me he is leary but doesn't attack me or threaten to. I never thought I'd care for a rooster with the jerks I've had in the past but he's a keeper!

6. brandichick

brandichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2014
    California
    Loved reading all your replies, my rooster is doing all the same things, except he's a beast with the mating, pulling feathers on the back of one hens neck and running all over the place trying to catch her with his beak open making heavy breathing sounds like some looney! Otherwise he's sweet and gentle with them and me, I love him but I have to find him a new home this summer because the city I live in will not allow roosters anymore. I'm already heartbroken about it[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by