My Rooster Got Attacked Today *Photos Included* (Graphic)

LakeMurrySC

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Chapin, SC
Today I found out that the neighbor's dog came over and trapped one of my roos against a bush. My mom was at the house when it happened this is how I found out.
To give some background info. I have 12 birds all together. 2 roos and 10 hens. I keep one roo and 10 hens together in a 10x10x6 dog pen and ther other roo runs free. The one that is outside, we call him Grey, sticks very close to the pen and rarely goes far. So while my mom was in the house she heard a loud noise and saw the neighbor running over to the back porch area. By the time that my mom got outside the neighbor had pulled the dog off of the bird and taken the dog home. The neighbor came back over and they pulled Grey out of the bushes. The dog got a good piece of the bird's backside and all his tail feathers are gone. He has some pretty bad damage to his rear. I do not have a vet that works on chickens so I need some help. I do not know what to do with wounds. Please any help would be wonderful.

Here is what he looks like just walking around, not too bad so you think:
91598_grey_1.jpg

Here is a close up:
91598_grey_2.jpg

Another close up:
91598_grey_3.jpg

Here is a top view of his rear where the tail feather would be/were at:

91598_grey_4.jpg

So right now he is seperated from rest of the flock and trying to keep him comfortable. What do I do with his wounds? I don't want flies landing on there and infecting it or anything else for that matter. What kind of medication would you put on it? ANY suggestions would be wonderful because I'm new to raising chickens and this is just devastating to me!
Thanks in advance!

Just a newbie, but. Doesn't look like there are tears or lacerations? Clean him up with soap and water. Dress the wound with a "blu-kote" type product and keep him quiet.
Good luck

I would clean him up real good, and apply the blue-kote or an antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. Dissolve one aspirin in a gallon of water, that will help him with pain and might reduce any stress that the pain is causing.

Poor fellow! He's lucky that's all the dog did but you're going to have to help him out a bit. Nothing looks like its in dire need of sutures, and chicken skin is very hard to hold together anyway. You'll first want to cut any feathers around the wounds - air needs to circulate and you need to clean/medicate those punctures. After you clear the feathers, wash him down with some antibacterial hand soap and warm water. Even better would be an idodine scrub, but the antibiotic soap is better than nothing. Now liberally apply tripple antibiotic ointment to any scrape, bump or hole.
He'll need a boost, I"m sure he's super stressed. Get him on some electrolytes and antibiotics (should be able to get both at Tractor Supply), at the very least some sugar water for tonight. Keep him confined - a large dog crate will do the trick. Since he usually hangs out near the other birds, perhaps put the crate in that area, but be sure its in the shade. If you keep the wounds clean flies won't be an issue, they go for necrotic tissue. I"m sure someone else will have more suggestions - good luck and keep us posted!

Clean him up good, I just use water. Put some antibiotic ointment (neosporin) on it. Keep him somewhere where flys can't get to him.
Make sure he is eating and drinking. There are lots of threads here on injured chickens, search them out.
If he has deep puncture wounds you may want to use an oral antibiotic from the feed store, but personally, I've never done that, even for dog attacks.

Note: Hydrogen peroxide has been found to slow the healing of wounds. They heal faster without it, so it is generally not a good idea to use it on a regular basis to clean the wound.

I agree with Bantam Chase above-iodine mixed with water (about half and half) would be best. Use lots of antibiotic ointment and put it on twice a day at least. You can also use pedialyte without iron or gatorade if you dont have access to chicken eletrolytes. I have had some chickens that healed up from some terrible wounds. Keep an eye out for any pus over the next few days, but hopefully a thorough cleaning and neosporin type ointment will prevent any infection.

Last edited:
Quote:
Very good point about the hydrogen peroxide - it drives me bonkers how people put it on everything! However - peroxide is GREAT for puncture wounds to kill bacteria but also to make the wound heal slowly from the bottom to the top, instead of having the top close over a hole. Didn't think about that in my OP, but if some of these wounds are more than a quarter of an inch deep get a syringe or eyedropper and give it a good blast after you clean everything with iodine or antibacterial soap.

Sorry to hear about your rooster. I have discovered that chickens can be pretty tough though. About a month ago I was at a meeting for the afternoon and had my chicks secured in their run. One of my cats had reached through the 1 inch chicken wire and had gotten ahold of a chick while I was gone. I didn't notice until I put them away at dusk. I brought the chick in to the house and examined him. He was missing one wing and had three lacerations in different places. I decided to have my husband put the chick down so he wouldn't suffer anymore. I figured the chick would more than likely get a bone infection and gangrene would set in as half of his bone was chewed off and exposed. I went to ask my husband to do the deed but found that he was already asleep, so I placed the chick in a box with food and water in the living room. When I placed the chick in the box, he started to eat! I figured that if he wanted to live, I would do anything I could to help him. He lived in our house for about 3 weeks, and is now living with the other chicks again. It has taken some time for the wound to heal, but he is a survivor. I did pour Betadine Solution onto the wound to keep it clean and applied some ointment after the treatment. I don't know if I used the correct products, but it was all I had and I figured it was better than nothing. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom