My Rooster got hurt by the other roosters!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmalemons, Feb 11, 2019.

1. emmalemons

emmalemons Chirping

Hello everybody! It's been awhile since I've said anything, but lately my chickens have been doing amazing! Until the past week... After having my chicks, I was trying to figure out if they were roosters or hens, since I already had a rooster. Turns out two of them were. They have now ganged up on Michael, my rooster. I was already planning on doing something about this, but I was a little late to coming when I found Michael by himself in the coop, already beat up :hit! immediately I removed him and put him somewhere safe. I got him water, and food, and cleaned up his crown as much as i could. His wattle has also lost its color and is pale. I later removed the other two roosters which I plan I getting rid of tonight/ ASAP. I'm wondering what the best way to nurse him back to health and what the best way to take on this situation.

LoveMyChickenBabies likes this.
  2. LoveMyChickenBabies

LoveMyChickenBabies Crowing

Sep 11, 2018
    Kansas USA
    Use Nutridrench to help with electrolytes for awhile. That's all the help I can give maybe @Wyorp Rock can take over from here.

DobieLover and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear that Michael is injured.
    Can you post some photos to see how bad his injuries are?

I agree with @LoveMyChickenBabies if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or electrolytes that would be good. If not, you can offer him a little sugar water. Once he is drinking, then you can offer food, he may not eat today, so don't be alarmed.
    If he was beaten about the head, he may be in shock and will need to have a rest for a day or two.
    Look him over carefully for any puncture wounds.
    Depending on the damage, you may just need to leave the wounds alone or you can apply a little bit of triple antibiotic ointment or spray some Vetericyn on them.

Keep us posted and let us know how he's doing.

4. emmalemons

emmalemons Chirping

Thanks so much! He is drinking and not eating yet so I think he'll be okay. I'll make sure I'll get him some electrolytes. His wounds are mostly around the head and by his crown, in which I believe is starting to stop bleeding. Thanks so much, I'll keep posting as much as posibble :thumbsup

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: