my rooster has a bad looking comb

dirtroadfarm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
I know this is not normal so could y'all please help me find out what's going on? Its got a lot of black spots and the edges looks like it's dying off.

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
How cold is it where you are? That looks like frostbite to me. To help prevent more, eliminate drafts in the coop and put some Vaseline on the comb/wattles. As for treating the frostbite that he has right now, there isn't much you can do. The bad looking parts will probably scab up and fall off in a few weeks; the only thing you need to watch out for is infection.

iwiw60

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Oregon
How cold is it where you are? That looks like frostbite to me. To help prevent more, eliminate drafts in the coop and put some Vaseline on the comb/wattles. As for treating the frostbite that he has right now, there isn't much you can do. The bad looking parts will probably scab up and fall off in a few weeks; the only thing you need to watch out for is infection.
Looks kinda like frostbite to me, too...poor guy!

dirtroadfarm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Thank u!!! We just got him 2 days ago and it has been pretty chilly of the nights but warm daily. He seems pretty healthy other than that spot. Today was the first day I got to get close and check him out. Watching him a hour or so earlier he was getting aroubd good and eating. I just wanted to make sure we wasn't gonna lose him and see what I can do! My son is who got him and he's 10. He wants to learn all he can and wanting more lol thanks again!

Top Bottom