My rooster has a chill and can't get warm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NHchicks, Mar 20, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I posted about this problem on the sick thread, but no response yet, so maybe there are more people here who might know.

My rooster has been sleeping a LOT and seems to be cold and can't get warm. He puffs out, squishes next to the nearest hen, and stands for hours on one leg in the sun sleeping while the hens are all running the woods scratching.

There were a couple cold, rainy, raw days last week where the hens gathered under the car, and the rooster stood out in the rain next to them, I guess he can't fit comfortably under there. (He could've gone in the coop, but I guess didn't want to). I'm afraid it might have been too much for him.

Any thoughts? I don't want to lose the handsome, gentle guy.

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Hopefully someone will give you some good answers. I don't have much experience with sick chickens so I'm not much help, but wondering if you can put him in a warm place or under a heat lamp for a day or so to see if he can recover. Is he eating and drinking? You definitely don't want him to get dehydrated.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I`m not sure if there could be anything else wrong with him,but if its the cold make him some hot oatmeal put some yogurt in it.Then put some electolites(not sure about spelling)in his water for a few daysI have some powder that is electolites with vit. in it and every once in awhile I put some in there water.I would say the warm oatmeal would warm him up and maybe a heat lamp untill he warms up.These are just simple things that I can think off right now.

4. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Those are good ideas. I will make him some warm oatmeal with yogurt right now and take it out to him. And some warm water. I don't think he's been eating or drinking today.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Most of the behaviors you describe suggest fever. Keeping food and water handy is sound advice. While sick he will be less vigilant and less able to evade predators. During this sickness he will loose weight but if he licks it, he should feed back up to normal weight very quickly. My birds usually become when songbirds migrating through and duration of poor health usually no more than 4 days. If his immune system does not overcome infection, then I would let him pass. Harsh but allows replacement with another with more suitable immune system and overall better health.

6. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Ah, yes. Probably fever. I tried with the oatmeal/water but he's not eating. I sure hope he overcomes this. He's my only rooster and I was counting on him to hatch some more just like him (only female).

Poor baby. Don't have to worry about predators tho, my dog takes care of that.

[​IMG]

edit: We also had a big thaw the past few days and had streams of water running everywhere. It could be it was too damp for him everywhere.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by