My rooster has a lump beside his eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tvlgal85, Feb 4, 2014.

1. tvlgal85

tvlgal85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    I noticed a lump beside the eye on my rooster. It has slowly been getting larger the last 2 weeks. When noticed it I started Rudy Roo on antibiotics (Duramycin-10). He is eating and drinking really well. I'm not sure if you can tell by the photos, but he got frostbite really bad in the -14 degree weather. Below are some pictures I took today. Any suggestions will be helpful as I've had my flock less than 1 year. Thanks Kim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How long has he been taking the Duramycin? Are you giving the maximum dose of 1 tablespoonful per gallon? It looks like he may have a respiratory infection (such as MG or coryza,) or an ear infection. Make sure he is getting some probiotics orally or a small amount of cultured yogurt or buttermik to keep his gut bacteria okay. If you don't see improvement soon, Tylan 50 injections or Tylan Soluble Powder, or if it is coryza, sulfa drugs such as Di-Methox might work better. Are you putting some Neosporin ointment or Bag Balm on his frostbitten comb? Can you get him tested at the vet?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Looks like some kind of sinus infection, respiratory illness.

Duramycin-10 might not be powerful enough to handle it, but I don't know, only saying that there are different antibiotics for different diseases/illnesses.

How long have you been giving him the Duramycin? If its only been like two days, then I'd say keep giving it to him, but if its been more than a week and the lump is growing, you'll need something else to fight it. I agree with what Eggcessive has said above too.

If you can bring him into some warmer place for now, it might be a good idea. Cold temps make chicken's bodies have to work harder to keep systems going well, so that could help to bring him in a warmer place. It does look like coryza to me, but I'm not a vet and definitely not a chicken health pro.

I don't know if this helped my hens any when I had a respiratory infection going through my flock but I treated them with a 'sauna' with oxine AH. no activator. Here is a link to where you can purchase it:

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Cide-International-Oxine-AH-Gallon/dp/B000HT7H8W

If you do some web searches on it here you'll find more information about treating respiratory illness in chickens with Oxine AH.

Prayers and recovery for your sweet roo!

4. tvlgal85

Feb 4, 2014
    Thank you for your input. It has been 2 weeks on the antibiotics. I will try to switch him over to see if anything works better and I did order some of the Oxine AH. I noticed after he got the frostbite that his breathing was a bit heavy, but haven't noticed any issues since. I did move him into the garage with one of my pullets because she was limping. I thought they would like the company. They have been in there for about 2 weeks now. I have also put the neosporine on his comb.

5. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    How is your rooster doing now, tvlgal?

6. tvlgal85

Feb 4, 2014
    Sorry, I just noticed this post. He didn't make it. I thought he was getting better, but he went peacefully in his sleep about 1 1/2 month ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by