1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster has a sore on his comb, can anyone tell me what it may be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feather babies, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Feather babies

Feather babies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2015
    Vancouver Island Canada
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If that's the only mark on his comb, it's probably a peck mark or a scratch from something. If there are multiple spots like that, I'd suspect fowl pox.

3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    X2. May want to separate him from the others just in case.

4. Feather babies

Aug 4, 2015
    Vancouver Island Canada
    I will look him over tomorrow for more marks. Thanks for the reply.

5. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    You're welcome. Keep us posted.

6. Feather babies

Aug 4, 2015
    Vancouver Island Canada
    So, after research I do believe I have a case of fowl pox. I did not even know this was a thing. My mom has had chickens for years and no pox for her feathered friends. As this is my first flock I am very grateful for this forum and all the knowledge out there. Having said that, what now? I do not have a second coop to separate my rooster into and I now suspect that I will have one hen with it as well. I have been getting one less egg per day consistently for 4 days now. Thought nothing of it until I got info on this sore on my little mans comb. Got to leave for work but will look them all over carefully when I get home. My research says vitamins for them and iodine on the sores? Also saw one say polysporin ointment on them. Any advise is much appreciated. Want this out of my flock asap!:(

7. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    @Wishing4Wings @campingshaws one of these two wonderful ladies may be able to point you in the right direction.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's not spread by exposure to infected birds, but by mosquitos. They might all get it, or only a few. It's a virus, so antibiotics won't help. It just has to run it's course.

9. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Thanks. I've never had to deal with pox. Good to know it's not spread by exposure.

10. Feather babies

Aug 4, 2015
    Vancouver Island Canada
    Ok, so one more question. Will my eggs be ok to eat still? I would think yes but just want to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by