My rooster has been attacked

Roo6

Hatching
Feb 21, 2021
I have a 2 year old white Leghorn rooster and 5 Red Star/Golden Comet hens. They are kept in a large coop but can’t be let out because of a large fox population. They all get along fairly well.
3 times now in the morning my rooster has had blood on his white feathers from a tear in his comb. One time there were blood spatters on the inside wall of the coop. This is about a 6 week period and we are in the middle of winter in coastal Virginia. The hens are untouched.
There is chicken wire even over the top and a reinforced 2x4 on the bottom 2 feet, no sign of digging. The door for people has only the 2x4 wire on it.
We can’t figure out what is attacking him? A rat? No sign of one, but whatever it is is small enough to get through that wire I guess. There is nothing to get his head stuck anywhere and he is a fighter, attacking his human caregivers.
Thank you for any insight.

With chicken wire, it could be any predator that can fit through it. Chicken wire is great at keeping chickens in but predators can get through and break through easily.

Any chance it could also be the ladies pecking at him?

Thanks for trying, but the wire is all intact, no holes in the wire or digging under.

He is king of the roost and easy on the hens. One preens his face but can't imagine they would hurt him. Or that he would tolerate it.

Good idea, I’ll try to get one. He would be hard to minister too though, as he is very protective of his hens and just attacks you.

Good idea, I’ll try to get one. He would be hard to minister too though, as he is very protective of his hens and just attacks you.
if hes distracted in trying to attack you, you can slowly reach down to pick him up and he wont really notice.
i do it with my rooster all the time to make him more calm

Thanks for trying, but the wire is all intact, no holes in the wire or digging under.

He is king of the roost and easy on the hens. One preens his face but can't imagine they would hurt him. Or that he would tolerate it.

i know a little about first aid care for chickens
First :welcome :frow Do you have a game camera. I know a camera won't protect your birds but it will show what is lurking around your coop and pen. I love my cameras. A few nights ago I had I think an owl attack one of my White Leghorn males. He was all bloody and there was blood in the coop and on a couple of the hens the next morning when I went out to check the cameras and the birds. I assume my predator was an owl because the only place something could have gotten in was a gap in the netting over the gate to that pen. Unfortunately it was foggy that night so nothing on the camera that points at that coop. I fixed the gap and no more issues. This is when I had some crappy netting when I ran short and an owl went through it and killed some birds. I replaced it with some good heavy duty netting and when the owl tried again got caught in the netting. A wildlife rescue came and got it. I have posted these pictures previously.
DSCF00031125 02 - Copy.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

Also please post a picture of your feeder. My rooster injured his comb on our feeder, as he has to stick his head into an opening to feed and he has a large comb.

Also please post a picture of your feeder. My rooster injured his comb on our feeder, as he has to stick his head into an opening to feed and he has a large comb.
Also, if you can't catch/ handle your roo during the day, wait until shortly after the chickens have gone to roost, then you should be able to handle him easily. I have a little light that straps around my head that leaves my hands free, it's quite useful and didn't cost much.

Back
Top Bottom