My rooster has decided to roost in a couple laying boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KTruxillo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    My rooster has recenlty decided that he wants to hang out with the hens in the laying boxes, not a big deal, the hens don't seem to mind we have 5 laying boxes for them to choose from so they just moved to a different one. The problem is now that the rooster has been going to the bathroom in 2 or 3 of the boxes, I clean it out daily but its a real pain in the behind. There are several roosts for him to choose from but he keeps hanging out at the laying boxes. Any ideas on how I can stop this or break the habit?

2. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Try putting golfballs in the box the rooster probably wont want to sit on them but the hens wont mind laying an egg besides another" egg"

3. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    Great idea, thanks!! I will try that today and see what happens, I have to clean the coop anyway, because of all the rain we are getting the flock seems to hanging out more in the coop and it is pretty gross in there right now.

4. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    My rooster will actually only go into the nesting box when my smallest hen (Cochin) is laying. I'm not certain why, but he won't leave her side. What a romantic guy!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by